How do I shut off the A/C for good | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I shut off the A/C for good

Yes I was reffering to the differnetial. You could however since that has the 7.5 rear end (8.8 if it's a 4.0, didn't want to go back and look) put a set of numerically really low gears in it. That would probably help a lot, you should be able to get a set of 2.73 ratio here

http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=1013

But keep in mind it is going to accelerate like crap, but should give you a good mileage increase, you will however have to correct the speedometer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm 280 is a bit steep for me right now. Another thing with my differential is it makes a howling noise, I think it is the bearings in it. Do you have any idea how to replace them?

I've done them, but I would suggest running a search on here or posting a new thread about just rebuilding the whole differential as the best way Ihave found is to get the bearings is in a rebuild kit so I would just redo the whole thing while you have the ring and pinion out. In other words, save your money and do it all in one shot, you could probably do it for under 500 bucks out the door if you do your own labor, also, there are cheaper gears out there, but Randy's was in my bookmarks.

the higher ratio gears, numerically lower will most likely hurt city mileage as the engine has to work harder to get the truck moving. Lower gears will let the engine work easier.

Dan

How do I sh

Dan, you're right, around town the mileage will get worse, and as I said with a set of gears that high it will accelerate like crap because it will want to break the tires loose and smoke them. But I made that recomendation under the impression that highway mileage was the main concern. In that regard a set of 2.73 ratio gears would in fact give him a noticeable improvement in highway mileage, but as with all things vehicle related it is always a trade off. In this case city mileage.

hmm, what size would you recommend then? The area I deliver in has a freeway (494) going north-south and another one (394) east-west both right in the middle of the map so I use the freeway maybe %25 of the entire time driving. What gearing would be best to balance the milage between city and freeway driving? Also I know the differentials have 9" brakes, 7.5 ring gear, but I don't know the other number other than the 2.73, or 3.83 gear size. I was going to buy one at a junk yard and I just was guessing on the size of the other 2.

I would probably stick somewhere in the low 3.00 range, like a 3.23, if you can get it I didn't check. Stock your truck probably has about a 3.55ish rear end gear stock.

Isn't there 4 sets of numbers
7.5, 9" or 10" brakes, 3.00, ?????
I have no idea if it has 9" or 10", I am sure you know but they sell the entire assembly including brakes and hubs at my junk yard.

the 4 sets of numbers are ring gear size, 7.5 in your case, ring gear ratio, where I was suggesting something in 3.00ish range (just keep the numbers low), and your truck may have either size brakes depending on how the truck is optioned.

is there anything printed on the drum that will tell me what size it is?

It should be cast into the inner edge of the drum, but if you take a tape measure and measure it you (inside measurement) it should tell you the same thing. I would personally just get a buddy to run me to the parts store after I take the drums off as I have had problems with junkyard drums.

Alright thanks

Back