• Register Today It's free!

How do you change battery cables?

jaredlangston

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, Oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 limited
Does anyone know how to change the battery cables or know where a link is? I have a 99 explorer and the starter is clicking but I have all acces. I've read though some posts and the common ground was that it is the battery cables. I have no idea how to change them. If anyone could give a detailed walkthough that would be awesome. Also, can anyone give a walkthough of how to test the starter. Tapping with a hammer? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I need to replace my battery cables also, its hard to keep them on the battery, there falling apart, anyone with info please do. :bounce:

I doubt the cables are bad on your '99. They are infamous for going bad on the 1st Gens, but were improved in '95. And with your's only being 5 years old, they shouldn't be a problem.

Have you had the battery tested? A clicking starter can be caused by a weak battery. If you turn in your lights and try to start the vehicle, do your lights dim? If so, it's the battery.

I just put in a brand new battery. Could it be the starter?

The "clicking" that you hear is most likely your starter solenoid engaging. If the starter motor is not turning over, then there is some type of problem there. Without being able to diagnose the car over the internet ;) , I can only offer a few suggestions. If you are handy, you could pull the starter and test it to see if its functioning properly. If you are not too handy, I would suggest you let a mechanic look at it. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Does anybody know how to change the starter?

Its mounted to the tranny bellhousing underneath the truck, its two bolts, a lead from the battery, and a wire connection. Not very difficult....go get it tested and make sure its bad.

Disconnect Both Battery Cables Before Attempting To Remove The Starter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, anything else I need to know. Such as any special tools or any other precautions.

Are the cables frayed or missing insulation? If not, I'd just either clean the terminals or chop them off and put new terminals on the cables. I had to remove my starter not too long ago, and as said before, it's just two bolts and the electrical. And yes, do disconnect the ground first cuz it will spark.

Haul the starter to Autozone, Advance auto parts, or something similar and have them test it.

It seems to me that Fords seem to often suffer from bad contacts between the cables and the battery posts (from experience)

Tapped on the starter and it started right up. I dont know how to change it so I took it to the mechanic. Price is going to be about $250. Does this sound about right?

I need to know how to change my cables, anyone know?

The battery cables from Ford (Motorcraft) is a complete harness assy. After seeing the price and about passing out, I decided it was probably worth it. I'm glad I went that way. There are two cables available...with the Message Center and without. The one with will contain the wiring for the oil sensor. Once you have the new cable in your hand, you will be able to see what has to be removed to do the job. The new Ford cable will also come complete with all brackets, etc. I wouldn't consider screwing around with anything else...even with the price. Check Rock Auto for a decent price. I would be surprised to see your local dealer match them.

I really only need the positive cable that goes to the battery...

I really only need the positive cable that goes to the battery...

Here is a picture of my wiring that I did to alleviate my voltage problems with my sound system.

20b25fk.jpg

The clear sheathed ground is my batt-frame, the black sheathed ground is my batt-alt, and the red sheathed ground is my batt-body. I don't know if you can see it that well, but underneath my 1/0 ga power wire for my amps, I have a 2 ga power wire that I fed along the stock starter-batt wire (tying it to the original along the way) and wired into the starter. The process is relatively simple, you just need one of the battery clamps like on my negative terminal, some ring terminals, the new wiring, and wire strippers/clampers. When I got done installing the new wiring, I just taped off the ends of the old wires with electrical tape, and literally just tucked them away and left them there (there's no harm in doing that due to their not being connected to anything) If you have any more questions let me know, I'll be more than happy to help. :salute:

Are the battery cables as simple as they look on the autozone website? They look like it from what I've seen under the hood... whats the 'whole harness' thing about? A different part of wiring in this truck? I have corroded cables.. is it simple or does it get much more complicated where I can't see?

Here is a picture of my wiring that I did to alleviate my voltage problems with my sound system.
20b25fk.jpg

that is the best battery set up I have ever seen, you have a capacitor on the the positive?

sweet:thumbsup:

bty i'm having same problem, good ideas, but dont forget the P.A.T., or solenoid

peace

Are these right? These came from the autozone website and it says both are OE.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 13,818
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 14,081

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haha, it was actually just a voltmeter, but I ditched that due to my hating the screw design hold system and replaced it with another battery clamp like I have on my negative :]

Back