How do you know if an Exp has the towing package? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do you know if an Exp has the towing package?

TRAXX

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 4x4
I am looking to buy a 96-up 5.0 explorer here pretty soon. Is there a certain code on the door sticker that will tell you towing package? I looked at one today that said something like l-73-88 on the differential tag and said D4 on the door tag under "axle". So what all do you get with the towing package? I know you get 3.73s with the towing package...so what comes in the non-towing package Explorers?

Thanks,
Trevor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tow

Usually the "towing package" from the factory consists of one or more of the following:

Lower gearing (3.73, 4.10)
Super engine cooling
Higher load rear springs
Larger rims, tires
Class III hitch
Wire harness plugin and/or complete harness

Thing thing about factory "packages" is many of these items, like the larger wheels/tires, or the gearing is available without the package, or as part of another package.

I have the "towing package" on my '93 but the only thing that seems any different to me from a stocker is the super engine cooling- the springs, rims/tires and everything else is the same as a stock-o sport. I don't even have real low gears or a hitch- and the harness had to be hard-wired in!

I think as long as you have the gearing, you could go out and equip your X with aftermarket accessories for towing and it would be alot better than factory. Tranny coolers, heavy duty radiators, hitches, and even plug-in harnesses are available for just about every truck on the market. You can get add-a-leafs or new springs if you need heavy hauling capabilities. I think about $500-600 would get you everything you need- plus labor if you dont do the work.

I doubt this makes a huge difference in the resale value of an Explorer, so if you find one with a towing package already on thats cool- but you may also consider just buying something that has never even seen any heavy duty use let alone towing- might be in better condition, and you can just add the aftermarket towing parts you need.

The factory package also includes a trans cooler.

In '97 the factory tow package added only: tranny cooler, wire harness, heavy duty relays, and a higher numerical gear ratio (sometimes) with a limited slip. I say sometimes on the gear ratio since there are other packages that already include a higher ratio. If you selected the package and the tow package, the tow package only adds the LS to the already included higher ratio. I also think that the V8 might have came standard with the tranny cooler, but I'm not certain of that. I can't remember ever seeing a V8 without it. The tow package does not include heavy duty springs, tow hitch or super duty cooling. The type of drive (4WD or 2WD), engine size and equipment base (XLT, EB, or Limited) determine the spring rates. The only Explorer model to include a tow hitch is the 2002. Finally, Ford includes Super Engine Cooling with all vehicles that have A/C. Since the Explorer comes standard with A/C, it comes standard with Super Engine Cooling.

cool thanks. That will give me a few things to look for.`

Back