• Register Today It's free!

How do you test ABS

ruzztec

Reaction score
City, State
McCreary County,KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT 4.0/99 XLT 4.0
I had my abs light come on and the system will lock the tires. I can't find out how to test the ABS system or where to test. It seems that my wires are intacted and not burnt but how do i pull the codes? I have a multi meter can i test with it? Like grounding the hookup for a 1st gen and reading the check engine light flashing? In other words....what the poor mans way to test?
as a side note, this is for a 99 XLT 4.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

think ya gotta go to a dealer/garage. i had my codes read and it only took about an hour (thats pulling it it reading codes, test drive then read more codes) that or either get a really high tech code reader, but you say on the cheap lol. i dont think i can read the abs by blinks, i think u can do that only for the air bag, i would get an appointment with a ford dealer. cost me 50 bucks....good luck

You could just check the DC resistance of each of the 3 sensors, that'd at least tell you if it was a sensor or not.

Check the back one first, that's the most common (and cheapest to fix).

I think they're all supposed to be in the 1200-1400 ohm range, but search the threads, someone posted the correct readings a while back.

Any of the Snap On scanners have an ABS testing routine built into their software. A regular code reader will be of no use to test ABS. The scanners can actually actuate each electronic part on the vehicle if one learns how to use them correctly.

Here is an example of a Snap On scanner sold on eBay (no recommendations).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SNAP...094751423QQcategoryZ43989QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

In order to get maximum productivity from this tool, you can upgrade to the programamble cartriges, which cover all vehicles from the inception of computers to whatever year you pay for. They can be renewed twice per year, but most guys get away with an update every year or two-years. With the programmable cartriges you no longer need one for Ford, another for Chrysler, etc. Everything is on one cartridge and you get it all. There are two cartridges -- one is vehicle data, the other is a "troubleshooter" which is a professional technician in a box. It covers symptoms, specific vehicle dynamics, and troubleshooting infor based on each particular vehicle, all input by some of the industry's best techs. It alone is worth the cost of the scanner and cartridge package.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...group_ID=19974&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...group_ID=19974&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

I have one of these, and it is a great tool -- FAR more valuable than a mere code reader. This tool reads real time info coming into the PCM, turns on and off every control system on the vehicle (including transmission solenoids), and also scans and resets codes (perhaps the least valuable function, but still needed).

Well guys/girls it was the rear abs sensor....$23 and some odd cents at Advanced Auto Parts. Took 2 mins to change and the ABS light went off. Thanks for the help! The ohms reading help me to find the prob.....i tested the othere sensors threw thier wireing...beats taking all the brake system off. But i had a readings like 0.14 and when i got to the back it said 1 so it showed no conduction. Alright!!! Cheap cheap cheap

Good for you, that would have been my guess as well. Keep it clean and test it once in a while(hit the brakes). Regards,

I have a '99 Exp Sport with ABS light on. Where is this rear sensor located?

front/top of the rear differential, look for the only wire on the differential.

90% of the time the wheel sensors go bad, I've had an ABS computer go bad once, depending on the system, relays and acumulator pumps also

Hmmm my abs light came back on at 80 MPH. It later went back off when i drop speed then came back on at 80 MPH agin. This time is stayed on. I turn the car off and on agin and its gone agin. Now im not sure but i'll bet if i get up to 80 MPH agin it will come back on...Whats up with that?? Does ABS disable at 80 MPH?

Ooo the best way to discribe where the rear abs senor is....follow your drive shaft to the rear diff...where it bolts in look on top of the houseing. Easiest way to access is jack up the rear and crawl under from the passagnerside....wiggle to the rear diff . I think but im not sure but i belive that the bolt size is a 3/8 6point. I might be entirely wronge but it may speed someones wrench time up.

I have an ABS light on in my 99 also. It is fun to lock up the tires on ice and slide. I do it every chance I get on the side roads. haha

I will have to steal a rear sensor from the spare axle I gave to my friend. It is worth a shot to see if it fixes my problem.

I have an ABS light on in my 99 also. It is fun to lock up the tires on ice and slide. I do it every chance I get on the side roads. haha

I will have to steal a rear sensor from the spare axle I gave to my friend. It is worth a shot to see if it fixes my problem.

You can test with a multi meter as described above.....i used the wiring and tested at a quickdisconect point. It beats disasmebly and it test to see if the wire is burnt up anywere

your sensors are probably not getting a proper reading if it does that, I would get it scanned, who knows, theres also an air-gap that has to be set

Hmm but why after i replaced the rear sensor? I tested the abs but locking up and it works fine but the 80 MPH deal makes me wounder.

Back