How far can I strip my eplorer and be legal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How far can I strip my eplorer and be legal?

Corrupt_Reverend

Reaction score
City, State
Turlock, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Explorer
Hi, a few months back I posted about how I totaled my '91 explorer. Well, after a couple months of randomly mucking with it and trying to pull the damage straight, I got to thinking.

Would it be legal for me to just chop off all the body from the firewall forward? I'm thinking I could just chop it, mount dune buggy headlights and turn signals and fab up a couple of rudimentary fenders just to keep rogue rocks at bay. And of course make a radiator mount and some sort of grille to keep it from getting thrashed.

The actual work involved is not a problem, I'm just wondering if I could legally drive it like this. (I live in California if it matters)

I've thought about parting it out (my buddy with a lifted range really really wants the engine and standard tranny), but I just can't do that to the nautilus (my truck's name).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated,
~Rev

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think fenders is the main thing. They have to cover most of the tire.

I don't know the laws in Cali, but here, you have to have tires covered. You'd probably be begging to be pulled over in a rig like that either way. Check with local law enforcement and see what they are gonna care about. If they won't give you a ticket, then rock and roll. Could be fun!

For like 2 or 300 you can buy an entire parts car and just use the front end from that.

For like 2 or 300 you can buy an entire parts car and just use the front end from that.

I thought about that when I first wrecked it, but after crunching some #s, I realized it would be not only cheaper, but easier (at least for me) to just chop the hell outta it.

About the fenders, I'm playing with the idea of a sort of "floating" fender design where the fenders follow the wheels. later on if I add aux. driving lights they'll track where I'm turning, which would be nice.

I also looked at the busted up fender (driver's side) and I should be able to use the rear edge to blend in the bod lines into a dog house or even just a firewall cover so it's not such an abrupt stop of the body (if anyone has taken off the fenders, you know what I'm talking about).

schedule permitting, I should be able to start chopping tomorrow. I'll make a full write up on the operation and post it here in case anybody wants to go for the crawler look with this generation 'sploder. I've still got the pictures of the stainless door panel arm rests that will be completed once I get her on the road, as I'm sure others are annoyed by the easilly broken door panel pulls on this truck.

~Rev

You'd be surprised how much you can chop off a vehicle and still be legal.

As long as you have fenders that cover the wheels (don't have to be part of the body, can be seperate pieces, i.e. hot rod/trailer style fenders), headlights, taillights (including 3rd brake light), windshield, and bumpers (don't have to be factory), and all required safety equipment (working seatbelts/safety harness for all passengers), you're legal.

You don't need a roof, doors, windows (other than the windshield), a hood, etc. etc.

There are plenty of hot rods, off-road buggies, street-legal formula cars, and other wild creations that don't have the appearance of a stock vehicle and are perfectly legal.
This isn't to say you won't get some attention (perhaps some of the unwanted kind), but you'll be legal.

I think an explorer with a smashed front end and some rigs up headlights would look better then an explorer with literally no front at all.

Back