• Register Today It's free!

How good are these things?

El Duque

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Hiawatha, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Eddie Bauer
My brother has a '91 Explorer that I've been driving recently. It has quite a few problems and he doesn't know if it's worth fixing. It has 165,000 miles and here are the major things:

5th gear is blown out in the trans. When you shift to it, the engine just revs. So I imagine it needs a new trans.

When you stop at a light you can smell burnt oil. My brother said the valve covers are leaking.

The heater motor is so loud I have to pretty much turn up the stereo all the way to drown it out.

When I hit a bump I'll actually be bounced into the next lane, so I would think the shocks and struts are totally beat.

The steering wheel has lots of play, so I'm sure it needs front end work. Maybe ball joints, alignment, etc.

I'm not sure about the brakes, it might be just the way they are, but I'll step on the pedal and they won't really grab, then they will quickly and almost throw me through the windshield. I'm used to driving a small car so maybe I'm just not used to them?

So, considering the mileage I wonder if this thing is worth fixing? I've tried some searches on this forum but haven't had much luck. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the explore ris a good reliable platform... all the stuff you mention just seems like this truck was neglected throughout its life.....it all boils down to do you have the money and time to fix it? if no, its probably best to try and sell it and buy something you can handle

It sounds like a bunch of small maintenance problems. Added up they may equal quite a bit of time and money, but after all that's done you may have years and years left in the truck.

These vehicles are great, and with a little TLC can last a very long time.

5th gear? in an 83' Explorer?:confused: .....really just seems as if the truck was sorta neglected, you have a lot of maintance issues. Explorers are very reliable.

Hmmm. I think he's just one of them Jeeper trolls. All that jibberish doesn't make much sense. Next please!

Back