How level is your Ex What is your Wheel Fender Height? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How level is your Ex What is your Wheel Fender Height?

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
I just thought I would post this and see how it compares to other's Explorer's and see what you have done to correct an unlevel ride situation.

Here is my wheel fender ht as measured from ground to bottom on fender flares at the center of the tire.

DF: 33-1/4" ________PF: 34-0"
DR: 32-0" ________ PR: 33-0"

Front difference is 3/4"
Rear difference is 1"
Left side difference is 1-1/4"
Right side difference is 1"

Attachments

• codyl.jpg
    codyl.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 372

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I actually dip in the front - I look normal!! :)

I lowered my FRONT ONLY one inch to give it a 'normal' racked look and to help out with the rear squat during towing. I don't have a side picture, so when I get home today, I'll take one and show ya.

I love <my truck> not having butt sag!

Ry.

Front 38 1/2"
Back 39"

Close enough for me!

Precise measurements:

Front Left: 39 1/4
Front Right: 39 1/2
Rear Left: 40
Rear Right: 39 3/4

Probably affected because the ground ins't level. but good enough for me:)

Just checked.

DF - 36"
DR - 36"
PF - 36"
PR - 36"

all level!!!!!!!!!

that's alot better than i was. the front end ust to be 1.5" higher than the back.

ya i don't know my exact measurements right now(too lazy to go outside and measure), but i know my front sits 1.75" higher than my rear.

38" in the rear. The front is about 39" but I have the Perry's fenders and it's actually about 2" lower than the rear.

I had the dealer adjust the ride height twice under warranty. Last time,
Before: LF 33" RF 33 3/4" LR 32 1/2" RR 32 7/8"
After: LF 34" RF 34 1/4" LR 33" RR 33"
They have the torsion bolt on the RF adjusted way out and on the LF adjusted way in. I think there is something screwed up with the front torsion bars setup. I've seen many explorers that are unlevel side to side. Either a design problem, installation problem, or defective torsion bars. Either way, poor quality control at Ford! Anyway, at the moment it's level enough so it's not noticeable.

No, it's that the driver's side sags due to the gas tank and driver. It's in the rear leaves, not the front tbars.

Alec - Are you saying that all of my droop is result of gas tank? I don't think totally. There's just too much variance all around. But I was surprised to read that the dealer set someone ht 1" lower in the rear. Wouldn't you want it to be a tad bit higher in rear?

Run a search on it, there are threads all over the place. Mine sits a good 2 inches low in the rear, and a good inch and a half lower on the drivers side when the truck is off, when its on the air ride levels it out though.

I'm sitting at 35" all around except for the driver's side rear, that's at 34 1/4" and I even swapped the leaf springs from side to side without any luck in leveling out.

Carson

Since my rear fender is still uncut I measured there.

43.5".

did you have any problems with only lowering the front? I want to do the same thing, but I have the air shocks... not sure how well that would work out.

Originally posted by Rick
Since my rear fender is still uncut I measured there.

43.5".

Is he bragging???!!!! It makes me sick to look at your truck Rick, I would love to make all the changes you have made then I think about the cost. I'm so cheap and tight with my money when it comes to spending it on me.

Example:
My wife said this past weekend that she wants to go visit her best friend in Atlanta during Spring Break. I said no problem gotta take the boy though and went online and dropped $864 on tickets.

I have been going back and forth for 3 weeks on buying the Dual program Apten chip in the group buy. I have a hard time justifying it to myself. I just hate to spend money on myself like that.

Just comparing. I would like to see the rear fender lip measurements for a pure stock Explorer.

Well let me check there are about a dozen 1st and 2nd gen Explorers in our company parking lot. Can't go anywhere in Alaska without tripping over an Explorer.

I'll get some if no one else beats me to it.

Of course when you need an Explorer there's non around. I walked outside and usually there are 5 by the rear door. Not one! I walked out in the parking lot and mine was the only Explorer. Go figure!

Rick isn't there somewhere online that lists information on the stock Explorer?:

Originally posted by Rick
Just comparing. I would like to see the rear fender lip measurements for a pure stock Explorer.

My brother's '93, 4dr, 2wd, 235/75R15s.. completely stock:

Front Left: 31 3/4
Front Right: 31 1/4
Rear Left: 31 3/4
Rear Right: 32 1/4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine is at 46.5 in the rear and 48 in the front.
Same on both sides. Stock fenders.

Back