• Register Today It's free!

How Long For Delivery?

justin17483

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi all. I placed an order for my 2014 Explorer Sport on 2/17 with an expected production start date of 3/19 (today!). I have my VIN and can access my window sticker online.

I was wondering, in other people's experiences, once your vehicle started production, how long was it until you were able to take delivery? I know everyone has different experiences, I'm just trying to get a feel for it more than the "6-8 weeks from order" line the dealer gives you.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine was built 2/9 and I picked it up 3/8. It was at the dealer a couple days before that.

Mine was built 2/1 , still haven't received it. Thursday will be 11 weeks, starting to consider walking away.

My order went in February 20th, built on March 13th, dealer called and said it should be there tomorrow!

Mine was ordered week of 1/21, have VIN now with it in production, due at the dealership 4/3.

My sport was; ordered Jan 2; built Feb 14; and, delivered March 15. This was in line with the estimate the dealer provided. Not sure if timelines differ in the US.

Hi all. I placed an order for my 2014 Explorer Sport on 2/17 with an expected production start date of 3/19 (today!). I have my VIN and can access my window sticker online.

I was wondering, in other people's experiences, once your vehicle started production, how long was it until you were able to take delivery? I know everyone has different experiences, I'm just trying to get a feel for it more than the "6-8 weeks from order" line the dealer gives you.

Thanks!

I ordered mine on Dec. 17. Built March 8. Delivery ETA is March 30. From what I've read, 6-8 weeks would be extremely unusual. 14 to 16 weeks is more the norm. I'm not expecting mine before the week of April 6. Be patient, I'm certain the long wait will be worth it. I plan on riding in mine for about ten years so a 15 or 16 week wait to get what I want is not too bad. :)

I ordered mine on Dec. 17. Built March 8. Delivery ETA is March 30. From what I've read, 6-8 weeks would be extremely unusual. 14 to 16 weeks is more the norm. I'm not expecting mine before the week of April 6. Be patient, I'm certain the long wait will be worth it. I plan on riding in mine for about ten years so a 15 or 16 week wait to get what I want is not too bad. :)

Man, seems like you drew the short straw. I odrered mine Dec26, built 2/9, delivered 3/9. As I've said before, I don't get how orders are prioritized. I would have thought you should have received yours before me since you ordered 2 weeks before me.

From what I've read it depends on your dealer's allocation / priority as well as the combination of options that you ordered. A low volume dealer will fall farther down the line than a large metro dealer that sells a lot of units.

Ok, I've worked at dealership for some time b/c my family runs it, and as far as Ford ordering goes, it all depends on a few different things. The biggest is where the vehicle is made. The second is what type of vehicle it is; things like Sports and Raptors and Shelby's, Ford sometimes holds these vehicles in the plant to inspect them a couple times over to make sure they are perfect because these are "specialty" vehicles. As for Explorer Sports - these are made in Chicago.. so once the vehicle is invoiced which means it is scheduled to start production a few days thereafter, this should take about 5-6 weeks on average.

12 weeks, still no ****** vehicle. It's been built now almost for 8 weeks, I think the guy pushing it from Chicago might need more food or water.

12 weeks, still no ****** vehicle. It's been built now almost for 8 weeks, I think the guy pushing it from Chicago might need more food or water.

I thought I was patient. Mine was built 3/8/14. I checked today (3/27/14) and it still has not shipped. Due date is still 3-30-14. (I'm not expecting it on 3/30.) I plan to be in it for about ten years and don't mind waiting for what I want but I don't see myself patiently waiting for twelve weeks plus after build date for delivery. I'll walk away before then and find a 2015 model.
Mine was ordered on December 17, 2014.

Well... now people who have ordered after mine was built have received their vehicles... i'm going to look at Jeep Grand Cherokee's this weekend.... If I get a good deal I guess I'll see my dealer in small claims court for my deposit.

Today, 4-1-14. New estimated ship date of 4-15-14. Seems there is a backlog of train shipments due to the really cold weather and snow this past winter, (from the global warming ;) ). My dealer says that Ford has 30000 vehicles held up by the freight train backlog. I would not want to have the job of the factory reps about now. I know impatient people are giving them FITS. I do plan to be in my vehicle at least ten years so an 18 or 20 week wait from ordering will soon be forgotten. I'll just keep using the Wife's mini van, (and driving it exuberantly to overcome the stigma), leaving her the ragged out trailblazer since she rarely goes anywhere anyway.
I'll have to come up with a high gravity recipe for home brew and call it
"Waiting for my new Ford, Ale".
Remember the old saying, "I'd rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy", or in our case, "wait for a Ford".

Where are they manufactured? I am in Cleveland and wondered if my Sport will just be trucked over or do they all start off delivery via train?

Well... now people who have ordered after mine was built have received their vehicles... i'm going to look at Jeep Grand Cherokee's this weekend.... If I get a good deal I guess I'll see my dealer in small claims court for my deposit.

Why do you need to go to small claims court for your deposit? In MN, the dealer has to refund the deposit if there is no delivery. Is CT different?

Since I'm the one who started the thread, I just wanted to give everyone an update. I spotted my vehicle on my dealer's lot last night after hours! Hopefully I can take delivery tomorrow or Saturday...so excited!

Here was my timeline:
2/17 - Vehicle Ordered (ETA of 6-8 weeks given)
3/3 - VIN number available
3/8 - Added the dual moon roof that wasn't on my original order (this didn't delay my order, which I thought it might)
3/19 - Vehicle scheduled to start production
3/20 - Production finished
3/21 - Released from production, awaiting transport
3/23 - Transport started via railcar
3/25 - Received window sticker from dealer (though I was able to see this much earlier if I looked it up myself online using the VIN)
4/2 - Spotted in the receiving lot at my dealership

Crystal was a huge help during this process. She kept me up to date every week while I waited.

Considering some of the horror stories I've read on here about how long people have waited for their orders, I count myself lucky. Things seemed to move along without an issue.

I will post some pictures once I take delivery

Mine was ordered week of 1/20 and arrived at the dealership 3/31. I should have it in my hands next week. If my transaction was not company related I would have it already. I'm really anxious at this point to be in it. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Crystal was a huge help during this process. She kept me up to date every week while I waited...

I'm glad I was able to help make the wait go a little faster, justin17483! I can't wait to see some pics. :)

Crystal

Back