How many shades of Red in 1998...Explorer & Mounty | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many shades of Red in 1998...Explorer & Mounty

Spdrcer34

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
As the title states....

In 1998, how many shades of Red were there between the Explorer and Mountaineer?

I am shopping for replacement body parts, and I see some advertised as Red, and others are advertised as Maroon...

My body Color code is FL which is Toreador Red...

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As the title states....

In 1998, how many shades of Red were there between the Explorer and Mountaineer?

I am shopping for replacement body parts, and I see some advertised as Red, and others are advertised as Maroon...

My body Color code is FL which is Toreador Red...

Ryan
98Explorercolors.jpg

Mountaineer

Available Body Colors
Toreador Red Clearcoat Metallic
Pacific Green Clearcoat Metallic
Oxford White Clearcoat
Medium Wedgewood Blue Clearcoat Metallic
Black Clearcoat

Toreador Red is a ***** to match. My 2001 Sport is the same color, when i painted the body plastics, they came out alot lighter. The touch up bottle i picked up from the local parts store is different also.

Thanks!

So there were 2 Reds available that year...Toreador Red, and Bright Red. I know about how hard it is to match that color......But I am hopeful!

Ryan

Hello Ryan, that odd lighter red is very rare, I can't count the few times I've seen them.

That Toreador Red is very special, and hard to match, mainly due to the complicated paint recipe. There are over 2.5 bottles of a pearl in it, which is almost $100 per bottle. That alone is why it's around $600 per gallon for the good stuff.

If you are matching by fixing a truck, try to find parts which have original paint, that will be fairly close. If you may paint the whole thing some day, I'd change the color.

I'm at least a year behind what I had planned, but I still like my paint color choice. I haven't yet picked a new dark red, but with Saleen rear bumper now I have more choices( I have the rear bumper cover(OEM colored) new and will not need). For the main red I'm going to spray the stock FL paint without the pearl in it, and add a mid coat using the FL mixed with a candy Blood Red(Alsa), and a little gold pearl. I have not yet made paint tests yet, but I will some day.

Are you starting on a new truck? Regards,

Yep....I am starting on a new truck....or 2....

I damaged my wife's Green X last summer, and I am replacing it with the Mountaineer.

Then I can build the Green X how ever I want, strictly as an Snow/Mud/recreational vehicle....

I am searching local yards for Toreador Red parts...there are a few to choose from here in the area....

Ryan

Back