how much can the awd drivetrain handle? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how much can the awd drivetrain handle?

josh_ruppert

Reaction score
City, State
LUDINGTON, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I am considering a 5.0 AWD sometime before spring. I have a set of stage 2 ported gt-40p heads along with an e-303 cam that I used in my 94 mustang. I want to put these on and of course I will need to change my injecters, mass air and intake. How strong is the drivetrain? I dont plan on putting much more into the engine then what I have mentioned. The last thing I want to do is break a tranny or something in the awd.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The tranny and tcase can easily handle those mods. I have an e-cam in mine, with headers, a chip, and 33s, and I've had no problems with either. Make sure you get pics! :D

I have some mods along with a 100 shot. I have 103k on my truck and still pulling 1.6 60' times at the track. I have a feeling it wont last much longer but I have ran it down the track at least 40 times so I expect it to hold up fine for you

section525; did you need to get the chip to control the idle? i had issues with my e-303 when it was in my mustang and had to get a chip. also, did you need to change the torque converter to accomodate the cam? Anything in particular I need to keep an eye on when looking for a 5.0 explorer? I have a 92 now and the body is getting pretty rough. Not to mention the ride also. I cant complain too much, the 92 has around 200k on it and it still runs good.

Josh.. check out my write up http://www.section525.com/xpage/camshaft/index.html

I installed the chip at the same time as the cam.. so I don't know if it really helped idle. I do still have idle issues though. Every once in a while it still likes to stall. I've heard some Mustang guys use an IAC plate or something that I may try. You might know more about that.

I still have the stock TQ converter. The cam really picks up at about 2800 all the way through 5000... which is reachable with the stock converter.

Back