97 5.0 X question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 5.0 X question

I have a 97 X v8 and AWD, well it was awd, im swapping the entire front end out this weekend with a 2wd front end. I was wonderning what transmission can i swap in place of the one that i have now bc i dont want to mess with the transfer case, i just want to swap everything out. And has anybody put the bottle (nitrous) on their X? If so how much was you spraying? I traded my 89 mustang street car with gt 40 heads, intake, E cam, gear, stall, ALOT of gas and slicks for the X. I was spraying 175 on the mustang and it loved it...i was told that 125 would be perfect on the X. I already have 4.10 gears and getting true duals installed in two weeks. I have a CAI, and was looking for somebody to reprogram the computer...i also have another set of gt-40p heads and upper and lower intake in the shop now getting ported polished and port matched.

Odd question - WHY are you ditching the AWD? Great for traction with added power.

You have two primary options for transmission. Get one from a 2wd Explorer / Mountaineer or from a 3.8L V6 mustang. You need to be careful. In 1997.25, they changed the electronics, including the connector at the transmission. just make sure those match up.

Because i have replaced everything in the front end...cv axles, gears, bearings, and come to find out its the transfer case that is shot, so i got irritated with it, and just decided to make it a sleeper. Would the bellhousings match up from the 2wd explorer or he v6 mustang. And my X was made in january of 97

Likely you have a post 1997.25 truck then, per Model years.

As for the tcase, I have one, but shipping to SC would be a bear.

The 3.8L V6 from mustang has a windsor bell housing, so yes - will bolt to the 302.

Yea thats what i have been told. How do i figure out if i have gt40 or gt40p heads? I want to get a set of headers i just wanted to make sure i ordered the right set. And i got the entire awd system out today with the exception of the transfer case.

Back