How much Fluid? Rear diff 1999, D4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much Fluid? Rear diff 1999, D4

Tackle

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
Hello,

My rear differential is starting to leak on my 1999 XLT 4.0 sohc with axle code D4 (3.73 LS I think?). It's leaking from the bottom of the cover, so I'm going to replace the fluid and gasket. How much fluid do I need? I have 2 quarts of 75w140 synthetic and 4 ounces of the friction additive. Will I need another quart? Just fill it till it comes out of the fill hole, or does it need a certain amount?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It will take all of both quarts and the modifier, plus some of a third quart.

Alright, I'll go pick up another one. Just fill it till it doesn't take any more?

yep, on a flat level surface

Mine took 5 quarts of synthetic Mobil 1...

plus the 4 oz. of friction modifier...Course when I pulled the cover I removed a lot less than that from the differential...

UPDATE: That should have been 5 PINTS plus the friction modifier...

I mistyped the title and did not put in 5 quarts...

And I used a gasket and rtv to seal up the rear cover...I got the gasket from Advanced Auto parts...

Yea, I got just over two full quarts when I drained it. I'm letting the form a gasket set up right now. How long you think before I can add the oil? I won't drive it tonight, just would like it to get a little tacky before I dump it in. It's been a half hour or so.

Mine took 5 quarts of Mobil1 synthetic...plus the 4 oz. of friction modifier...Course when I pulled the cover I removed a lot less than that from the differential...

Hmmm, are you sure about that?
According to the ford website, the capacity for our 8.8 rear diff is 2.9 - 3.1 liters, which is 5.5 to 5.8 pints. 2 pints per quart equals almost 3 quarts.
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOXMNT/~MUS~LEN/42/99mntog1e.pdf
Scroll down to page 234 of 248 in the PDF document

Yea, I got just over two full quarts when I drained it. I'm letting the form a gasket set up right now. How long you think before I can add the oil? I won't drive it tonight, just would like it to get a little tacky before I dump it in. It's been a half hour or so.

I waited just about 1/2 hour, filled it up and drove it away

plus the 4 oz. of friction modifier...Course when I pulled the cover I removed a lot less than that from the differential...

I pored in 3 quarts plus about 6 oz of friction modifer and it was just below the hole, and I've left it there since. But I also completly wiped the inside clean, not one drop of oil in there when I put the cover on.

Back