How much oil do you leak? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much oil do you leak?

my old 93 leaked about a quart every 3k
my 96 4.0 with 202k leaks a few drops at most out the rear main
and my 99 5.0 doesnt leak anything at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

156K and no leaks.

Rear main used to leak but its been replaced. Never leaked enough to drip on the ground or show on the dipstick but the bottom of the tranny was wet where it met the engine.

Nothing but Mobil 1 in the engine since I got it with 59K.

None, now that the oil plug has been replaced and you can actually tighten it. :rolleyes:

There is some seepage of oil coming out of somewhere, it isn't enough to tell and doesn't drip on the ground, but it does get all over everything under the engine.

My '02 SOHC is leaking half a quart every 6,000 miles from the valve cover gaskets. At 56k miles, I'm getting ready to swap out the gaskets myself.

Mine has the leak that is covering the oil pan. Think it's probably the oil pan gasket leaking.

01 ranger with 81k doesnt leak and 96 explorer with 86k and it doesnt leak.

I've had three Explorers and none of them have leaked a single drop. The first two, a 4.0ohv and a 5.0, had 150k+ miles and the current one, another 5.0, just rolled over to 89k yesterday.

Mine don't leak at all, and very little is used between changes.

My '02 SOHC is leaking half a quart every 6,000 miles from the valve cover gaskets. At 56k miles, I'm getting ready to swap out the gaskets myself.

Mike, you need to tighten those valve cover bolts. Those gaskets are not gaskets, there is a leak proof rubber/steel seal under the SOHC valve covers. Unless the bolts are loose, they should never leak. Find an 8mm socket and with an extension snug those all up. I hate to think about the mess left from leaks, I have fixed and cleaned up many leaks before. You just have to get to it and clean and tighten. Old gaskets leak, the new rubber and steel used these days can last forever.

Back