How often does the Viscous coupling/chain fail on the AWD V8 trucks? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How often does the Viscous coupling/chain fail on the AWD V8 trucks?

once you convert one you will be like "Doh"
now I see
the whole front end gets lighter, steering effort reduced, passing power is there, the whole truck feels completely different. And then to put it in 4x4 low and see what they can do....it goes from Soccer mom suv to Truck just like that

I hear you, I do, but I had been driving my black 98 with the AWD locked up, and no front shaft, for over nine months last year. For my work and a lot of gravel along the ride edge of the road, I needed AWD a lot. I wore out the LS clutches quickly that way, and they weren't very good to start with. I had to baby the throttle, and I don't like that.

The 99 V6 A4WD I have was very good, but it did have slight drama mashing the gas on slick surfaces(gravel or rain, or snow). The AWD is much smoother than the A4WD, and I know true 4WD is the best. I'm after the on road traction, but eventually, enough power to spin all four tires on dry pavement. The A4WD might not be the best for that, it might spin a little more than AWD. That's a viscous clutch question, no one has ever gotten there with these AWD's.

I have some tricks to help you reach those top two bolts on the t case next time
First up drop the trans crossmember and lower the trans and t case 3-4" giving better access
With the right combo of 3/8" drive extensions you can get to the top two bolts from over by the exhaust.

Otherwise if you really want easy access to the top t case bolts you can pull the center console and front seats, roll the carpet back and remove the floor plate cover (Takes about 15 minutes)..... now you are looking right at the bolts.

Using a 3/8" flex head ratchet from HF I was able to get to all of the TC bolts without issue. I used to use some c-shaped wrenches but the flex ratchet is by far the easiest. Don't have to lower anything at all.

A4WD with brown wire mod isn’t bad.

A4WD with brown wire mod isn’t bad.
Yes yes, my intention with the BW4406 TOD was to have that wire handy with a switch, momentary also(maybe a foot switch too).

Back