How reliable is the starter and alternator on 1996 stock Explorers? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How reliable is the starter and alternator on 1996 stock Explorers?

I would add in running the tank to empty or under a 1/4 tank often. This allows the pump to run hotter causing more stress on it.

+10 True dat'

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Donalds nailed it. Order the kits, then pull the starter and alternator and rebuild on a nice Saturday afternoon. That way, you won’t be forced into picking up a piece of aftermarket trash when they DO eventually give up the ghost

Or pull an OEM core from the JY, rebuild, and leave it on the shelf

Anyone still on the stock starter and alternator? Surprisingly I am. I'm at 210,000km now and just wondering how long these usually last on these trucks? Am I one of the few ones who has gone this long without having to replace either ? *knock on wood(
My '96 Explorer 4L has 352K on it. The slip rings on the alternator wore out after 280K miles. I bought a used alternator at the salvage yard for the interim and repaired the original with new slip rings and brushes. I prefer original parts to the junk you get at auto stores. I've never touched the starter.

@WEBsEXPs

I believe you have set a forum record.

(1) post in 10 years of membership - welcome! :)

@WEBsEXPs

I believe you have set a forum record.

(1) post in 10 years of membership - welcome! :)
i;d say welcome, but then youve been here longer than I 🤣 heck, i was still very young when you joined!!!! i was still drawing blob looking cars to go on the fridge then, nowhere close to now!:D

Back