• Register Today It's free!

How to change T-stat?

pugsy

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4x4 (4 door)
Looking to replace the Thermostat in my 92 Explorer. Think it's stuck in the 'open' position, the temp. gauge doesn't move much off the 'C' line and only after an extended period of driving on the highway, does it fully warm up. So...coming into the winter months, I'd like to have it warm up quickly. Also, I'm thinking I will get better fuel economy if it warms right up as opposed to running cold.
The problem: How to change that t-stat out?
Where is it, how do I remove it (can it be done with normal tools), how much/what crap do I need to remove to get to the t-stat?
If anyone's replaced one, can you let me know how to do it?
Thanks a bunch!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this article for a '92 (or gen 1) explorer? Didn't see it referenced anywhere.
Anybody perfomed this task before and have some "what not to do's"? haha

Actually its pretty straight forward and is very easy to do just follow the article and youll be in good shape.

Make sure you also get the o-ring gasket for the Tstat. Not all the manufacturers include it.

Drain the coolant so that it is below the thermostat. Remove the top radiator hose. The thermostat is under the hose connection on the engine. Remove the thermostat housing, 3 nuts, I think, one is a bit hard to get on with the wrench. Pull out the thermostat.

Also, there is a little hole in the thermostat flange to let trapped air out. This hole should be "up". There may be lettering on the t-stat to this effect.

Bob

Is there any gaskets (other then the o-ring referenced above) that secure the housing with the 3 bolts? Or is it a simple unbolt, replace, and rebolt, and clamp the hose back on?

No, its just the o-ring & the three nuts.

Note the direction the t-stat is facing also. You don't want to put it in bassackwards :confused:

Back