How to fix a 2007 hydro-locked engine? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to fix a 2007 hydro-locked engine?

BonesDT

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Westchester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Red '99 Sport SOHC 4x4
My friend got his Toyota FJ Cruiser stuck for 3 hours in 2.5-3 feet of water.

After he got out, he drove a handful of miles and then his engine finally stalled and never turned over again. I guess it sucked water up through the exhaust and got "hydro-locked". We pulled all the spark plugs, but the starter would not turn the crank for the life of it.

So we're guessing the entire engine is shot. An initial shop opinion was "it's hydro-locked and the pistons are bent".

Here's the real catch. It's a 2007. Any ideas on what to do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ouch.

Try and find an engine from the wrecking yard? I think that engine type is fairly new and only used in the FJ Cruiser.

I liked the FJ Cruiser until I sat in one. I don't like the visibility upward thru the windshield or back to the sides. I think its important to be able to see when you are driving.

Some people I just don't understand. Atleast pay it off before you destroy it. There's not much you can do if the internals are shot. I'm pretty sure Jasper doesn't have that engine, so if you somehow find a wrecked FJ or you go buy a new engine - that's the only way you'll be able to get it going again

-Drew

Nothing yet. He's still thinking about what to do.

promarengine.com quoted him $4900 for a reman'ed long-block ($2900 for just the short-block, but I figure there's a good chance he bent valves too)

I asked him to ask them why it is so much more than the reman engines sold online (<$3000). You can get reman'ed 2004 4.6L DOHC Mustang long-block engines for less than $2500 (DOHC being as complex an engine you can get).

I also told him to consider your "wash it off and say you don't know what happened" plan.

I asked him to ask them why it is so much more than the reman engines sold online (<$3000). .

I think that engine type is fairly new and only used in the FJ Cruiser.

I think that's why its so expensive. There aren't many of those engines available yet.

Yeah, he's SOL, and the longer he waits, the worse it's going to get.

Odds are that, after pulling it out, it had water in the oil. Driving it was what destroyed the engine, not hydrolocking it. If it had hydrolocked, it never would have fired in the first place.

As for options: Rebuild or replace are about the only two. On a vehicle that new, I'd take it to a dealership and let them fix it. You won't find too many outside shops that have the experience with that type of job on such a new vehicle.

-Joe

There is no way.
water could creep in while sitting in water, but would take way more than 3 hours....and could not happen while the engine is running.

There is no way water was sucked in.
I am almost certain you hydro lock theory is impossible.

It is either starter.
Fuel pump.
Or random electronics.

Best and most likely case is the starter.
find out where it is knock it around.
Manually operate it.
and / or replace it. done.

Fuel pump is very unlikely for the age of the vehicle.

Random electronics and both the others....hook it up to a computer....it will tell you what it is.

Worst case get it diagnosed at dealership....then take it to a firestone or something to get the work done.....or do it your self. easy.......The engine is NOT hydro locked.

hydro lock....locks the pistons engine but in 99% of cases the crank will still turn with bent to hell rods.....you will then have knock accompanied with a hole in the oil pan 90% of the time.

Im sure he's been on the FJ forum and they told him whats up......there is no way it is hydro lock!
My friend got his Toyota FJ Cruiser stuck for 3 hours in 2.5-3 feet of water.

After he got out, he drove a handful of miles and then his engine finally stalled and never turned over again. I guess it sucked water up through the exhaust and got "hydro-locked". We pulled all the spark plugs, but the starter would not turn the crank for the life of it.

So we're guessing the entire engine is shot. An initial shop opinion was "it's hydro-locked and the pistons are bent".

Here's the real catch. It's a 2007. Any ideas on what to do?

Digging them up from the archives today??

Interesting.

I do not know much about "hydro-locking", but this is what I can tell you. My friend had it all fixed up. The final diagnosis was one of the cylinder heads was cracked and a bent valve. My friend saw that himself. They also replaced the whole short block saying something was wrong with the pistons, etc., but my friend says he doesn't know if he believes that part.

He also had to get several parts, including the radiator changed because they were filled with sand. He was even cleaning sand out of the pulleys weeks later.

To clarify, the engine was NOT running during the 3 hours in the water. When he was finally tugged out, he was able to drive a few miles (I was watching white smoke blow out his tailpipe), and then his engine finally stalled and never cranked over again. His air filter was wet, even though that front corner didn't seem to be air filter deep in the water.

If he had a bent valve and cracked cyl head (and I have no reason to disbelieve you), then he must have sucked in enough water to "hydrolock"

Stupid FJ cruisers...

Why must everyone dig up dead threads?

No i just see no point in reviving a thread after 6 months, then again after another 3.

to shine a new light on the subject:roll:

Back