How To Fix Your Ripped Center Console | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To Fix Your Ripped Center Console

strotter13

Reaction score
City, State
Carson City NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT AWD 5.0 Explorer
So here is a quick write up on how to repair the center console. I used a spray on adhesive because I was worried that new staples would crack the plastic a little too much (being that it is 17 years old). I also used a fairly thick vinyl. With this combination, it won't come out perfect (some wrinkles in the curved area) but it will look a lot better than before. If you want zero wrinkles then use thinner vinyl and try to staple it down with a staple gun.

12079332_1044446472246729_8276275951808313168_n.jpg

This is the before.

Following the photos, take out the bottom plastic piece, by unscrewing the screws and then lift it up. Then peel off the old material. Then remove the old material, but do not discard it.
12144891_1044446478913395_789453937407726757_n.jpg

12049637_1044446482246728_6734292475186533426_n.jpg

Flatten the old material out and then trace a rough outline around it, on your new material. I used a piece of black vinyl, because I had it laying around from when I reupholsterd some seats, so I figured the vinyl would match the black cup holders, and it would be cheap/free.
12107113_1044446528913390_8771037885246031747_n.jpg

Do a test wrap of the vinyl around the center console arm wrest and then trim any areas as necessary. Use your spray on adhesive or staples, and start at the back of the arm wrest and work your way forward attaching the viny. Then put the black plastic piece on, tucking and pulling tight any loose material as your put each screw in.

Here is the final product, which looks much better than the ripped one from before. Way cheaper then paying 50 bucks for a used one on ebay, and if you don't get it right the first time, its ok. It will be cheaper to attempt to repair your old lid 6-8 times before paying 50 bucks for a new lid.
11214720_1044446535580056_4608844760294089938_n.jpg

Good luck, and have fun!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I re-did the console lid on my wife's 99 Sport. It was torn like yours when we purchased the truck. I purchased a console lid repair kit off E-bay for $10.00 & used staples but they did not work great but it is holding. I did not think of using spray adhesive.

Just lookin at this thread and wondering if you hit the vinyl lightly with a heat gun if the few wrinkles would come out. Arne.

Just lookin at this thread and wondering if you hit the vinyl lightly with a heat gun if the few wrinkles would come out. Arne.

The secret to not having wrinkles is to stretch the vinyl tight over the lid. You can't do that very well if you use adhesive. Using staples you do run the risk of cracking the plastic lid, but that's the way Ford originally did it. I'll be repairing my 4th console lid in the next couple of days. The first one I did came out great, the next 2 lids had cracks before I even installed the covers, so they came out only fair. The one on my ST was so badly broken I had to replace it with a recovered one from eBay. The lid I'll be doing soon is in pretty good shape, so I'm hoping it comes out good. I'll be using 1/2 stables.

Here's a pic of the 1st one I did using a cover from Zealous Interiors.
109_0023_zpskyitfeck.jpg

I used heavy duty staples when I recovered my lid, and it didn't work very well. The heavier staples require more force due to them being thicker. All the staples and/or adhesive do is hold the vinyl in place until you screw the bottom piece and the lid together. The staples don't have to go all the way in or look good. If there was another way to keep the vinyl stretched tight as you reassemble, you wouldn't need the staples or adhesive.

After I recovered mine, I cut a pant leg off some stretchy yoga pants/leotard and slid it over the lid. Sweat and body oils contribute to the deterioration of the vinyl. The fabric protects the vinyl. Plus my sweaty arm doesn't stick to the vinyl now.

Go to the Salvation Army or Goodwill and find a leather skirt (less than $5) and cover it in leather.

I finished recovering my 4th console lid the other day with a Zealous Interiors cover. It came out almost as good as the one pictured in my last post to this thread (see post #5 ). I'd rate it a 9 out of 10. I used a heavy duty hand-held stapler, which worked okay, but not as good as my old HF pneumatic stapler (which I can't find staples for anymore). Some of the hand-held staplers staples didn't go in all the way, but they held the cover tight until I got the bottom of the lid back on.

I used a spray on adhesive because I was worried that new staples would crack the plastic a little too much (being that it is 17 years old).

My recover, using a Zealous Interiors kit, did crack the plastic in mine pretty good. Note: not any fault of Zealous Interiors by any means. My recover is a fairly new job, with no problems from the cracking. I do have a spare used console lid from the junkyard for a possible recover using my current Zealous Interiors kit, or for a spare if any problems come up.

Once again: Any cracking from stapling is not any fault of Zealous Interiors by any means.

Back