How to: Front Upper and Lower Control Arm Replacement | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Front Upper and Lower Control Arm Replacement

Is it necessary to undo the sway bar if you are only replacing the upper control arms? Thanks, Bob

No, I only had to undo it for the lower control arms as one of the large bolts was much easier to remove without it on the way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What about the bolts on the sides of the upper control arms? I didn't see anything in my Haynes manual about torque spec?

Actually I was asking for my 04 xlt, my Haynes manual gives me a torque spec for the frame mounting bolts but nothing for the bolts on the side that allow the bar to move around

It is also incorrect, as the struts have an internal stop that keeps them from springing apart. The strut compressor is not necessary at all.

Actually I was asking for my 04 xlt, my Haynes manual gives me a torque spec for the frame mounting bolts but nothing for the bolts on the side that allow the bar to move around

I believe you're talking about the bolts that go on the bushings. I could not find those specs anywhere, other than a video from 1AAuto where they tell you to torque them to 100 lb/ft (which sounded excessive to me). My Haynes Repair Manual also does not mention it. If anyone can answer this, it would be great.

Strut compressor was NOT needed, you can just loosen the top studs and pull the whole assembly out in one piece. I was a young and fairly inexperienced DIY mechanic when I did this write up almost a decade ago lol. I still have this truck. She doesn't drive anymore, waiting under a cover for a serious money project build. Finally blew up my rebuilt/upgraded trans and torque converter.

Do you have to reinstall those two brackets on upper control arm, the frame is slotted and I need to get the top of the wheel out a little, tires are wearing on the inside.

Back