How to install cabin air filter [PICTURES] | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to install cabin air filter [PICTURES]

Once again an Explorer owner and plan on keeping this one longer than the last one. Just did this great mod this weekend... it was a rather straightforward process. Looking forward to this forum once again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a great mod. I took some pictures because some of the original pictures from page 1 did not load, or are blurry. I found a filter that has Activated Carbon. As noted earlier in the thread the filter goes upside down. Mine had an arror windicating the air-flow direction and it would be flowing into the fan from outside.

I wondered if anyone had done this to the rear blower on the left hand side, my explorer has a rear fan.

Picture of the box of the Cabin air filter I used.
ECOGARD XC25664C Cabin Air Filter with Activated Carbon Odor Eliminator - Premium Replacement Fits BMW 328i, 325i, M3, 318i, 325is, 328is, 318is, 323i, 323is
The pciture shows other part numbers for other manufacturers. Champ CAF1710, FRAM CF8103, WIX 24784, etc.

20190930_180348.jpg

A previous poster talked about only cutting the sides, I used an box cutter type knife to only cut the sides. If you leave the center bolt in and only remove the two on each side the plastic won't life up and your blend door stays in place. I opened it with a screwdriver on each side.
20190930_182151.jpg

Could only Imagine what that evaporator looks like! 😱

No wonder my air for was so wack. What the broken recirc door didn't block was blocked by debris.

I'm more amazed that Ford would install a box in there that is clearly fit for a filter but yet chose not to.

Anyway, I'm thankful for this write up.

View attachment 170278
Did you get that cleared up somehow

No wonder my air for was so wack. What the broken recirc door didn't block was blocked by debris.

I'm more amazed that Ford would install a box in there that is clearly fit for a filter but yet chose not to.

Anyway, I'm thankful for this write up.

View attachment 170278
how did you clean fan.....did you remove and disassemble

Hey y'all. Just adding that the filters that fit are for a late 90's BMW 3-series like a 96' 318i.

i was gonna say wlecome, but i realized youve been here longer than I!!!!!!

how did you clean fan.....did you remove and disassemble
Sorry for not replying until now.

I did drop the fan motor (3 screws iirc) which was the angle in the picture looking up. The screen is in the way so I just used a shop vac hose to clear out the debris.

I skipped to the newest post here so my question may have already been asked. Can I do this filter add mod to my '97 Explorers and my '99 Ranger? I desperately need a way to filter out all the allergens, particularly pollen, that is taking a toll on me right now. Thanks to the original poster and others who have added to this thread.

I skipped to the newest post here so my question may have already been asked. Can I do this filter add mod to my '97 Explorers and my '99 Ranger? I desperately need a way to filter out all the allergens, particularly pollen, that is taking a toll on me right now. Thanks to the original poster and others who have added to this thread.
I'm not sure as my Ex is an '05. But look behind your glove box or under the dash behind the glv bx for the blower motor area. If you see a rectangle area that looks like a CAF could fit in it then you probably can mod one in.

Earlier I looked behind my glove box in my '97 and it didn't look the same as the '02 pictured. I looked under the hood of an '03 ST out in my yard and it has a blower under the hood like my '97. I couldn't get the doors open on the '03 to look behind the glove box. Later I'll have to power up the truck to use the key chain remote to get inside.

Back