How to install cabin air filter [PICTURES] | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to install cabin air filter [PICTURES]

I have a 04 explorer xlt is it located behind the glove box also ive been wanting to change asap thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome idea. I'm going to tear into my '97 this weekend to see if it's simple or not. I'll try to take a few pictures and post them if I remember.

Just a note...I did my filter mod a year ago. And, it's stupid easy. I was amazed at the minimal amount of work I had to do. I simply used a dremel tool with a cutoff disc. One hour to cut out the access (inside the vehicle, no removal of anything, but the glove box.) cut the filter material, hot glue the cardboard "frame" around the filter medium, and install. Why did Ford not make this an option...or, hell, STANDARD!

I just did this. Finally remembered to grab a filter. Could not find my dremel, so I heated up a knife with a torch and cut the sides to the front, and made a little "flap". There were two screws that held that piece down, so I pulled those, gently bent the flap up, inserted the filter, put the screws back and added two pieces of tape where I cut. So easy! thanks for this great idea :)

oldie but goodie

I know this is an old thread but what a great Idea. That filter did get dirty fast, just goes to show you how much we breath in during our daily travels.

imagine how nasty the heater core and evaporator are by now...

Would this also apply to the 2nd gen explorers? Or is there another thread that I haven't found with this for the 2nd gen because I'd really like to do this

great

is it in the same place on 2006 explorers

Thank you! I will try to do this sometime this week & come back with the results!

I am going to do install the air filter asap. Thanks for the post Mike. This is a good idea.

Chief07

Cabin filter

Thanks for the thread . it's great , does this work for all explorers or it's just cretin models . i have 2006 explorer xlt , would the same work also on my explorer

I'm glad this has helped other people. I'm not sure about if this works on other gens as well.

Even though I'm not active on this forum anymore, I still own and daily drive this explorer after all this time. I wanted to come back to post that I have found a factory cabin filter that fits the dimensions for this mod exactly! The filter is for a BMW 3 series I believe. I am now using a WIX 24784 filter, which filters bacteria, mold, mildew, algae and yeast. Here is the rockauto link. I feel silly for making my own filters previously.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=489028&jsn=7

PICS:

IMG_6224.jpg

This tag must be cut off with some pliers for the filter to slide in. Took me just 5 seconds to fix it:
IMG_7546.jpg

Filter installed!:
IMG_4947.jpg

I am very interested in doing this in my 06 XLT, where I have recently taken up residence. I was a bit shocked when I looked up how to change the cabin filter and discovered there wasn't one! Unfortunately, I can't see any of the photos in the thread. I'm a very visual person and don't want to go cutting willy-nilly and destroy something. Has anyone else accomplished this in an 06, and is it just me unable to see the photos? Thanks, all!

Even though I'm not active on this forum anymore, I still own and daily drive this explorer after all this time. I wanted to come back to post that I have found a factory cabin filter that fits the dimensions for this mod exactly! The filter is for a BMW 3 series I believe. I am now using a WIX 24784 filter, which filters bacteria, mold, mildew, algae and yeast. Here is the rockauto link. I feel silly for making my own filters previously.

More Information for WIX 24784

PICS:

IMG_6224.jpg

This tag must be cut off with some pliers for the filter to slide in. Took me just 5 seconds to fix it:
IMG_7546.jpg

Filter installed!:
IMG_4947.jpg
Did anyone else notice that the filter is in upside down?

So I'm in the middle of this cabin air filter mod.... can't seem to get the right filter. I called AutoZone with that part number and they can't seem to get it... anyone got any input on this or know of a different filter???

(Update) the acdelco part number is CF3168. Installed it today...
Also just a side note. If you just cut the sides and the bottom of the rectangle piece it can be flipped up and down and you can reuse the two screws on each side to reseal it.

20180604_111310.jpg

20180604_111256.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No wonder my air for was so wack. What the broken recirc door didn't block was blocked by debris.

I'm more amazed that Ford would install a box in there that is clearly fit for a filter but yet chose not to.

Anyway, I'm thankful for this write up.

20190503_134406.jpg

Back