How to: Pull trouble codes on 4WABS, very simple | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Pull trouble codes on 4WABS, very simple

Thanks for the writeup. The jumper worked & I read 3 codes for my 94 xlt. Removing the jumper made the interior light flash, but no test bulb flash. It all worked out anyhow. Got codes 32, 36, & 76 all pointing to the right front sensor. Pulled the wheel & found the sensor wire cut one of the conductors. Wire cut due to chafing on outter edge of wheel. Spliced it & started truck. Light extinguished. BTW, only 2 conductors for the sensor. This tells me you can do a simple resistance test for each sensor using the above schematic. Pretty basic system compared to my '02 explorer which also ties into the 4x4 control module & has a true 4 wheel abs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I need help trying to decipher ABS codes on my 94 Ex. Fisrt time I got 7, 6, pause, 3, pause 6, 6. Then next time I got 5, 6, pause 3, pause 6, 7. About 30 mins later I tried again getting 7, 6, pause 3, pause 6, 7. Then I got 7, 6, pause 3, 6, 7 again. These were all in flashes on my dash. Totally confused but more inclined to accept the last two set of codes. Can someone please help. Thanks in advance.

The pictures are all gone. Can we get them reposted?

Does anyone know which pins correlate to the first post? The pic is gone and they aren't labeled on the actual plug.

Does anyone know which pins correlate to the first post? The pic is gone and they aren't labeled on the actual plug.

+1 I need the pin-out too.

I read somewhere it was the black and the black/blue but that didn't work. Oddly enough my ABS light was off while those were jumped.

_________
_ / +a +b \_
| +c +d +e +f |
----------------

ABS Light On

I Had a ton of error codes -
11 - ECU Failure x
16 - System OK
17 - Reference Voltage x
22 - Front Left Inlet Valve
23 - Front Left Outlet Valve
24 - Front Right Inlet Valve
25 - Front Right Outlet Valve#
26 - Rear Axle Inlet Valve
27 - Rear Axle Outlet Valve
31 - Front Left#Sensor#Electrical Failure x
32 - Front Right#Sensor#Electrical Failure x
33 - Rear Axle#Sensor#Electrical Failure
35 - Front Left#Sensor#Erratic Output
36 - Front Right#Sensor#Erratic Output x
37 - Rear Axle#Sensor#Erratic Output
41 - Front Left#Sensor#Mismatched Output x
42 - Front Right#Sensor#Mismatched Output x
43 - Rear Axle Mismatched Output
55 - Front Left#Sensor#Output Dropout
56 - Front Right#Sensor#Output Dropout
57 - Rear Axle Output Dropout
63 - Pump Motor
65 - G Switch
67 - Pump Motor Relay x
75 - Front Left#Sensor#Erratic Output
76 - Front Right#Sensor#Erratic Output x
77 - Rear Axle#Sensor#Erratic Output

So as a first step I replaced the ECU, and then only got a code 32. :thumbsup:

I'd already replaced the left side with a bone yard sensor when I replaced the fried spindle. Got a new sensor from RockAuto - cool that it had the chassis clip.
ABS Lights out!
Found a good gravel road and sure enough this works - not perfect (i would like a harder pedal) but seems to have done the trick. You can hear the motor when it engages - pretty good test of whether the pump is working.

ABS Light on

Also - make sure you use electrical cleaner on the ECU connector when you remove - lots of mysterious liquid (capacitor fluid?) on the connector. Maybe it explains all the failures ....

I'm wondering if I have an ECU issue as well. Mine won't flash any codes through a test light or the dash light when it's on. If I pull the fuses it stays off for a few days and works but them comes back on.

Where's the ECU located for the ABS system?

Drivers side - look for an upright flat box with a big connector. There's a screw in the center of the connector and once that's loose it's easy to replace the ECU - Bolts at the top and a pin fastener at the bottom that just comes loose when you pull up.

Thanks. I shuffled relays around and switched out fuses and it's worked all weekend. *knock on wood*

I know that this is the wrong place for this...somewhat...I have a 1995 explorer and my ABS light is on I just replaced rear speed sensor (differential) with BWD one today and it is still on even after unplugging negative battery cable, the question is, HOW DO I GET ABS CODES without a code reader? And where is the ABS control module located?

Thanks in advanced, Joe

post new schematic link

dead link

hey where's the diagram

My ABS light stays on so i tried this and i seem to get a 16 (all ok) and a 17 at times. RR locks up easily. I have all now shoes in the rear, new rotors, calipers, pads in the front. Before this failure i had a very active abs on that RR wheel. sigh.

Hi oneofmany. When u say your right wheel locks up, did u check to make sure the parking brake isn't siezed and keeping the wheel locked at times but no code. Had mine lock up before and thought I'd throw that out there. The only abs issue Ive ever had was due to the right front wheel rubbing thru the abs wire. Hsed this thread to diagnose. Was obvious when I pulled the wheen and an easy fix. Good luck

Pull trouble codes on a first Gen Explorer is very simple, only need one jumper and one test lamp or analog voltmeter, or if you no have these parts can use the ABS ligth in the dashboard.

- In the ABS test connector (engine compartment, RED CONNECTOR, not same as EEC-IV test connector) install 12V test (light or voltmeter) between pins C and E.

ABStestconnector.jpg

- With the ignition off, jumper pin E to B.
- Turn key to RUN position.
- Remove jumper between pins E and B after 5 seconds. The pulses start inmediately!! so put attention
- Count light flashes of test light or ABS warning light in the dashboard

4WABS trouble code is a two digit code, so count first pulses, stop one second and count the second pulses, like EEC-IV two digit codes

Trouble codes description and posible sources soon...

good luck,

I did a Google search and found the connector:

images

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Photos & video

OK I'm going to add photos & video to this thread...I have a code 17 need help with that...

I had an ABS light on so I took photos and video

Hopefully it will help someone and someone can help me...

The connector is located here
001.jpg

Here the cap is off and I pulled it away for easy access
002.jpg

Here I have jumpers and test light hooked up my test light didn't work so I used the dash ABS light
003.jpg

Here is the YouTube video that shows my codes..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb__HhmDli0&feature=em-upload_owner

Hope it helps someone and someone can help me with the code 17...

Thanks
Bruce

Back