How to recharge Air Conditioner on 98 5.0 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to recharge Air Conditioner on 98 5.0 Explorer?

King$nake

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0
The mechanic quoted me over $100 just to recharge my A/C, and so I started wondering how difficult it may be just to do it myself? I know you can buy the R134A stuff at the store, any help would be appreciated. I typically do all my own work on my truck if I can, but have never recharged A/C before.

Also, is there is a way to tell if the actual compressor has gone out? I just recharged my A/C maybe 2-3 years ago, and just yesterday I notice that the cold air is not coming out

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I suppose at worst it could be a crap shoot, but considering the current price on R134A, having it done at a shop is not a totally bad thing. The A/C system has a low pressure switch on it, and the compressor won't cut on if the system is low on charge. So possibly your charge may be low, but also possibly if it is low, there is a leak somewhere. I would suggest pulling a vacuum on the system, and check for leaks.

To do it the RIGHT way....you'd be over $100 in just tools....

THEN you have to buy the R-134, and replace all the O-rings while you are at it...

I am all for the DIY approach...but this is one of those times it's MUCH cheaper and easier to just pay the man to do it for you...

Ryan

The mechanic quoted me over $100 just to recharge my A/C, and so I started wondering how difficult it may be just to do it myself? I know you can buy the R134A stuff at the store, any help would be appreciated. I typically do all my own work on my truck if I can, but have never recharged A/C before.

Also, is there is a way to tell if the actual compressor has gone out? I just recharged my A/C maybe 2-3 years ago, and just yesterday I notice that the cold air is not coming out

Somewhere around $100 isn't bad, and as was mentioned you'll be in it for WELL over that for the tools to do it right. Even shopping Harbor Freight you're looking at about $300 or so in tooling.

When a compressor pukes, it's usually very sudden...one day it's ice cold, the next day it's making hot air. If you pull the orifice tube and see if full of metal, you'll have your answer.

Well guys got a quick question. I went and bought my own R134A recharge kit, and I just got done filling the A/C with it per instructions. Now my A/C is blowing significantly colder, however it's not ice-cold like last time I had it recharged. Do I just need to drive the truck around a bit? A/C pressure looks good now too (in the green on the gauge)

EDIT: Just went to drive the truck again and the A/C is back to blowing warm air, not cold at all anymore. And for whatever reason, the PSI pressure went up to about 75 after driving it around. WTF

I think that the previous two posts tell you what you need to "know" along with your "new found experience".... that you need to take it somewhere.

I agree, taking it in probably the best thing to do

I recently tried the same thing. I got a can of refrigerant and put in just enough to get the compressor to kick then found out there was a hissing sound coming from the condenser. Sure enough a rock had jumped up and put a hole right in one of the tubes. So I ordered the condenser and will install that myself, but for the evac and recharge, I'll be taking it in. Mainly because I don't have the pump to vacuum down the system and remove the moisture, nor do I own the gauges or scale to measure the refrigerant being put back in. You don't want any more or less than the specified amount in there.

Back