how to remove the roof rack end caps? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to remove the roof rack end caps?

Convict1997

Reaction score
City, State
Concord, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 2wd XLT 4.0 OHV auto
I'm doing the $10 light bar on my 98 sport and need to know how to remove the little plastic end caps from the roof rack to place one of the tie downs in front of the cross bar. I can move the cap a little and wiggle it out about 1/4 inch. It just wouldn't come all the way out and I didn't want to force it and break something. Do I need to remove the screw holding the front of rail down or should I just pull harder?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes you need to unscrew the first on and then it will come off. just make sure you keep the stock roof rack going in the right direction or it will not screw back on. and when you put the screw for the bar back on do not over tighten them or you will strip them out.(i know i did)

Yep- there is a tab on the cap that goes underneath the rail with a hole in the tab. The front-most screw goes through the roof rack, then through the hole in the tab and into the roof. That's what retains the cap...

Who sells replacement end caps for the cross bar? Mine broke when I hit a pothole while carrying some lumber.

you can catch them on your garage door....:D

:(

Back