How to steal newer cars and protect them (General questions) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to steal newer cars and protect them (General questions)

michael86

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017, Explorer XLT 4WD
I live in a really sketchy neighborhood, and it gets worse every day. Cars get stolen all the time.
After I got my new Explorer, I am wondering if it’s really that easy to steel it and what you have to do.
I thought modern cars (2000+) are pretty secure with their transponders. But thieves probably know a way around it.

I am thinking about
- A ordinary steering wheel look for overnight parking
- An alarm system. Not sure if I already have something but found the Ford Perimeter Plus Security System (FT4Z19A361A), any experience with that?
I want something that is simple to use. Arm/disarm with the factory key, alarm for breaking the windows and opening the doors and something like motion sensors for the inside but with the option to deactivate them if I leave the dog in the car. It would also be nice if it has 1 or 2 output/input channels for external devices.
- And a GPS tracker that can also remotely deactivate the fuel pump. Where is the relays for it and where can I get schematics specific for my car? Any recommendations?
- Is there a good and simple way to secure the Catalytic Converter from stealing?

Any other ideas?

One more question:
I heard that you can connect a device to the OBD port and create a new fully working key.
The Explorer can only have 4 or 8 keys programmed to it. If I already have that many is that procedure still possible or does that not count for some reason because they delete the previous keys?

I know it sounds a little over-worried and there is no 100% but I try to figure out as much as I can to find the best solution for me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't answer your subjective questions about what level of paranoia vs action is warranted for your risk level, nor do I have any additional security measures on mine, but no matter how many keys you have programmed in, a scan tool capable of programming, can wipe them out and program a new key. It doesn't get "filled up" to where no new key can be programmed over the OBD2 port.

The steering wheel lock seems like a good idea, in that it serves as a visual indicator that there is more work to defeat it, before they bother to gain entry. Otherwise, if I were me, I'd simply install a hidden switch to cut power to the fuel pump or ignition, then they have no knowledge base on what to do, where to look, since it's not any kind of factory device or alarm product. Then again they will expect just the factory security so any decent 3rd party security system added on, can't hurt if competently installed so not a potential problem later. Another option is a hidden switch on the OBD2 port so it doesn't work to reprogram keys.

GPS tracker and remote, you will need a 2 way cellular radio subscription with a monthly fee. What about just relying on your insurance policy to cover damage and theft?

Catalytic converter, only way is a thick metal guard/cage over it, custom made if you can't find aftermarket.

I'd consider moving to a better neighborhood. ;)

The modern car thief is no longer relying on a toolbox. Instead, they are buying the factory hardware devices that can be used to connect to the car remotely.

I wont go into much detail as most of this info is available on the google but basically what they do is buy a pirated device/software diagnostic apparatus that can be used to connect to the keyfob remotely OR act as a keyfob itself and perform functions against the vehicle such as unlocking doors and remote starting. Then they simply drive away as if they have the key. These devices are not cheap but they are out there for sale.

A steering wheel club works for this scenario. Also an old school battery kill switch and also storing the keyfob in a safe container (like an anti RF scanner).

Explorers aren't targets in most areas but ive seen many Hellcats and SRTs stolen (on the news) using the method above. They usually walk right up to the dealership...

The best thing would be to park it in a garage if that is an option. Otherwise, the steering wheel club is one of your better bets. If thiefs see that, they may just move on to another vehicle. With the gadgets thieves have now, they can make off with a modern day vehicle in under a minute.
"While the very best car thieves used to take more than two and a half minutes to smash a window, break the steering lock and hotwire a car, a modern car can now be stolen in as little as 10 seconds without having to break anything."
If they want it bad enough, they are going to get it.

Peter

Over-insure it and let them steal it.

Otherwise, your best bet is to go to an audio shop and ask about their alarms. Any good shop can add options to the alarm, and I’m sure they could add a fuel pump cutoff option. Best bet is a physical button for the fuel pump cutoff. Zero thief’s are gonna troubleshoot a fuel issue. When it doesn’t start immediately they are gonna move on.

I wouldn’t bother with the GPS fuel cutoff. I’d imagine that’d be costly. A regular GPS unit with the yearly cell service would probably be more than enough.

but no matter how many keys you have programmed in, a scan tool capable of programming, can wipe them out and program a new key. It doesn't get "filled up" to where no new key can be programmed over the OBD2 port.
That is what I expected. But it was a nice idea.
By the way. My car has 2 keys (the 5 button remote) and an extra mechanical key. Different websites call it "Transponder Key" and its original ford.
I guess it's a replacement because there is the emergency key missing in one remote. Or is that key for something else?

Another option is a hidden switch on the OBD2 port so it doesn't work to reprogram keys.
You mean for the +12V? I also had the interesting idea to pin a few wires to empty positions but then you always need an adapter plug.

I'd consider moving to a better neighborhood. ;)
I would but I stuck here for minimum one more year because of my lease and college. Besides that I already live in the "better" neighborhood. Next option to move to another town/state what I think about for the future.

Also an old school battery kill switch and also storing the keyfob in a safe container (like an anti RF scanner).
I am not sure if its a good idea to disconnect the battery because so it will lose all its settings also for the steering wheel position. I know that from my other cars before. Next, how can I open the car then and also an alarm system would be useless.
And for a container or pouch I am to lazy or I will forget it all the time.

Explorers aren't targets in most areas
That's the only good thing about it but you never know.

Otherwise, the steering wheel club is one of your better bets. If thiefs see that, they may just move on to another vehicle.
That was the plan to make it harder for them.

If they want it bad enough, they are going to get it.
Yes. If necessary on a tow truck.

Otherwise, your best bet is to go to an audio shop and ask about their alarms. Any good shop can add options to the alarm, and I’m sure they could add a fuel pump cutoff option. Best bet is a physical button for the fuel pump cutoff. Zero thief’s are gonna troubleshoot a fuel issue. When it doesn’t start immediately they are gonna move on.
I am pretty sure it won't be to complicated to do it on my own.

I wouldn’t bother with the GPS fuel cutoff. I’d imagine that’d be costly. A regular GPS unit with the yearly cell service would probably be more than enough.
It was just an idea (also with the tracking in general) because they don't cost so much more.

I found out (have the windowsticker) my car already has a Perimeter Alarm. The manual says it monitors the doors.
Would it still make sense to upgrade it to the Perimeter Plus? Is the only difference that is has impact sensors not even real interior motion sensors. I couldn't find a manual only the installation instructions. Even the Ford website doesn't give me detailed information or schematics for it.

You mean for the +12V? I also had the interesting idea to pin a few wires to empty positions but then you always need an adapter plug.

Emissions testing would likely fail it if an adapter is needed and many scan tools are self powered. Switch off the can high wire.

A starter signal kill w/gps like most low end dealerships install for people with bad credit would work perfect but there's a subscriptionto something like that. A hidden switch that interupts the starter signal is all you need in this situation. You just need to hide the switch well but still be accessible.

Your best anti theft device is insurance. If they want, they will get it.

Your best anti theft device is insurance. If they want, they will get it.
Yes but if what you do will slow them down and they can see that, it's likely they will move on to an easier target. True if they want your car or house bad enough done, but giving them pause can move them to an easier target. It's so bad here many are leaving car doors unlocked and signs in window.
I used the large sign "NO VALUABLES INSIDE" on my RV for the 10 years I had it and no problems. But I did have a hidden starter cut off switch. :) YMMV...

Back