Howing noise - wheel bearing? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Howing noise - wheel bearing?

You don't have a local mechanic you use? Because you can find the parts cheaper online OEM and cheaper labor

Like if i end up doing the two front hubs myself...they will be say like $196 for parts for both..and he would maybe charge 150-175 in labor. I can't imagine what the dealer would charge me

$350-400 for parts & labor; to change out both HUB's is a very fair price, to you and the mechanic!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honestly, I would pay $400 out of my own pocket if that took care of the issue. I have so many hours of my time invested in driving around to the two shops; sitting there waiting on repairs; test drives; researching it, etc. $400 to have that behind me? Where do I sign!? Haha!

Honestly, I would pay $400 out of my own pocket if that took care of the issue. I have so many hours of my time invested in driving around to the two shops; sitting there waiting on repairs; test drives; researching it, etc. $400 to have that behind me? Where do I sign!? Haha!

same here!

By the way - our OEM rims are hubcentric, not LUGcentric - correct?

Ok! Three wheel bearing are going in tomorrow at noon. Both front and passengers rear. I can hear the passengers rear now. Going to have them Road Force the front tires and watch them do it. If not better, I am driving the car off a cliff. :).

Ok! Three wheel bearing are going in tomorrow at noon. Both front and passengers rear. I can hear the passengers rear now. Going to have them Road Force the front tires and watch them do it. If not better, I am driving the car off a cliff. :).

You said you don;t have roughness now right? or do you?

You said you don;t have roughness now right? or do you?

I have no real roughness in the steering wheel now that the Bridgestone Alenza's have been removed. The Bridgestone Ecopia's have been free from the roughness. I just continue to have that wobble in the steering wheel from 55-62/3mph.

Now, I can hear the passengers rear wheel bearing going out. It is making a whirling sound now that wasn't there even a week ago. So, it definitely needs to be replaced. The two in the front are being replaced in hopes they are contributing to the wobble in the front end at those speeds.

Shumax

UPDATE: Had the passengers rear, and two front, wheel bearings replaced yesterday. During the process, we checked the road force - 9, 4, 13 and 13. Put the 9 and 4 up front. One was .5 oz out of balance, so that was "corrected."

Noise from the bearing is the rear is gone. Vibration? It continues. In fact, I actually think that it is worse. Frustrated and not sure what to do next.

Heading back to Firestone to let them look at the tires and wheels yet again...

Shumax

UPDATE: Had the passengers rear, and two front, wheel bearings replaced yesterday. During the process, we checked the road force - 9, 4, 13 and 13. Put the 9 and 4 up front. One was .5 oz out of balance, so that was "corrected."

Noise from the bearing is the rear is gone. Vibration? It continues. In fact, I actually think that it is worse. Frustrated and not sure what to do next.

Heading back to Firestone to let them look at the tires and wheels yet again...

Shumax
If the tires and wheels aren't the issue, I would think that perhaps the vibration is coming from the drivetrain.

Peter

If the tires and wheels aren't the issue, I would think that perhaps the vibration is coming from the drivetrain.

Peter

has to be now...one of the drive shafts...trans ect.....when it's vib..throw it into N...see if it still does it or makes it better

UPDATE:

As you may have noticed above, I had the other three bearings replaced. No change. So, four new wheel bearings in 500 miles. No change.

Today, I went back to Firestone and they broke down all of the tires and rims and road forced them again. Very low numbers in the front - 4 and 7. Rear was 11 and 17.

When done, they put the car on the rack with someone inside. They drove it to 65mph and the wheels looked perfectly smooth. Inspected the front axles, no play and they rotated smoothly.

Looked at the drivers rear axle and BAM!! It's hopping up and down as it rotates. The passengers rear is, too, but half as much as the drivers side rear - but, also more than the front. Quite a bit of movement in that rear drivers axle - more than this video (below) can capture. It, obviously, connects to the diff. Put your hand on the diff and it's hot and shaking quite a bit. You can actually see it shaking. Look up through the drive shaft and you can see the rubber bushing shaking.
I drove home and it's generally smooth at all speeds but 60mph. It still wobbles at that speed - 58-62mph now. I say "generally" because I now notice it in the seats and I suspect that's the axle being bent.

The way harmonics work, I wonder if it's possible for that bent axle to move the shake up the driveline and have it come out in the steering wheel?

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/...pskbdnf0ab.mp4

has to be now...one of the drive shafts...trans ect.....when it's vib..throw it into N...see if it still does it or makes it better

I did do this on the way home as a matter of fact. I noticed the wobble was greatly reduced. I'm starting to think that bent axle in the back is causing my issues. Crossing fingers! :)

I did do this on the way home as a matter of fact. I noticed the wobble was greatly reduced. I'm starting to think that bent axle in the back is causing my issues. Crossing fingers! :)

So the shift to N made it better? Like almost completely gone?

Just saw your video..that could very well cause a vib to go thought the vehicle..but you would prob notice it more in the seat...but vibrations are strange and take on a world of their own

I want my dealer to do this to my truck but i know they won't...put it on a lift and give it some gas to see if anything LOOKS off axle wise. I mechanic could however..hmm

I shifted to neutral quickly as I was exiting, so I did not get much of a chance to observe. It certainly lessened. Did it go away completely? Not sure. Test again tomorrow.

Back