• Register Today It's free!

HU help for 02 4dr XLT

fouroh

Reaction score
City, State
Dracut, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I looked at the sticky but it doesn't say anything about the 02+ Explorers. I am going to upgrade the system but I'm not sure if I have an external amp. The deck is AM/FM/tape/CD and I don't see a sub in the rear. Could you get the 02+ with a sub like the pre-02 models? I don't have the 6-disc in dash if that matters. I plan to replace the deck, speakers, and add two amps and a sub. The rear speakers will likely be run off the HU so I need to know if I'll need to bypass a factory amp or anything.

Also, how do you remove the stock deck? This doesn't have the holes to use the U-shaped tools on, so do I just pop off the plastic trim panel?

Thanks
Greg

Yeah the newer models have the option of a factory sub, I think it is only in the EB and limited editions though.

To remove the HU you have to pop off the black bezel that surrounds the radio, under that should be some screws that hold in the HU. Be sure to be carful when prying off that bezel the plastic is kinda soft, it will dent and scratch pretty easy.

Thanks. I figured I just had to pop off the trim but wanted to be sure before I broke it for no reason. I'm pretty sure I don't have a sub, so I assume I have no external amp to bypass.

Greg

Back