• Register Today It's free!

HU install. wires???

4dexploder

Reaction score
City, State
St Pete Beach, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLS
This is my first headunit install, so bare with me. I have an 03' explorer. I have successfully removed the dash panel and removed the head unit. Now there are three wire sets; the main harness which has several wires; a harness about 1/3 the size of the main harness with two wires to it; and the antenna. I have the harness for my new Headunit. Im assuming that i need to cut the factory harness of and splice the wires. Can anybody tell me which wires are which? Im seeing wires that have different colors on the factory harness than on the aftermarket. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just changed mine in the 02. You should go to best buy and get the wire harness and crimp everything together nice and clean so you can just pug the factory deck back in later. The harness has the matching wire colors and instructions on the back of the plastic. It's going to be hard to figure out without it. The clip with 2 wires isn't used with a new head unit.

edit - hold on I missed some of what you said. The larger plug that was in the back of the stock unit plugs into the new harness. Crimp the wires from the deck into the wires of the harness. Again the one with the two wires isn't needed

im a bit confused. i need to cut the wires from the old harness and splice with the wires of the new harness?

edit -i also didnt see any instructions on the back of the old harness. I have the instructions for the neww harness

Sorry but I think what I said might be confusing because I don't know if you are talking about the harness attached to the back of the deck or the harness you get to put the two together.

1) You have the wires coming out of the deck
2) You have the 2 plugs that came out of the back of the old deck
3) You have the new harness to hook the deck to the plugs that you would buy at a stereo shop?????

#3 is the one I'm not sure if you have. You don't cut any wires at all though. You take the new plug and plug that into the corresponding plug that came out of the old deck. Then you match the ends of those wires with the wires on the back of your deck with the diagram on the back of the package the harness came in.

Hope that makes it clear.

i have a plug with wires that is for the new deck. The plug goes into the new unit and has a bunch of wires hanging out. Im sorry for not making that clearer

Ok so you need one more that goes in the middle. That is where the crimping comes in. Go to Best Buy and tell them what truck you have and they will hand you a harness. The harness has a plug on one end and wires on the other. Plug that one into the larger plug that you took out of the STOCK DECK. Then the wires that are at the end of that one crimp to the wires hanging out of your deck. No cutting just crimping.

Then when you sell the truck all you have to do is unplug that adapter and plug the deck back in. :)

3 things

The wires coming out of the deck
The harness in the middle that crimps to the wires coming out of the new deck that plugs into......
The plug that you took out of the back of the old deck.

I will call best buy right now.

thank you so much

No problem. They have a separate shop on the side of the buildings that do the car installs up here and that's where you get it. They have a seperate door with a couple bays.

I went to best buy and got the harness and crimped all the wires and everything and hooked up my head....sounds great. Im just waiting for my damn bracket to come in the mail so i can finish the install. thanks for your help

Cool. Should of told you that you could have got that there as well. :)

Back