• Register Today It's free!

Hubs won't engage

specops17

Reaction score
City, State
Wills Point, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Somebody please help. When I Press the 4x4 button that is on the dash of the Explorer the light comes on and I can hear the Transfer Case engage. I have also driven the vehicle in 4 wheel drive and have observed that the front drive shaft is turning, but the auto locking hubs will not engage and pull the front tires. I also know that it is not a problem with the transfer case because the vehicle will go into 4 low. Any help on this problem will be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The auto hubs on 91-94 explorers are crap and is common for them to fail. Your best (and cheapest) bet is to swap to manual hubs. Search the site here for details.

Do a search, you can clean the autos with ATF or switch to manuals.

The answer is "Nothing".

specops17 said:
I also know that it is not a problem with the transfer case because the vehicle will go into 4 low. Any help on this problem will be greatly appreciated

wait, are you saying it will drive in 4lo but not 4hi?

Ever tear an autohub apart? They were made to wear out.

Yeah, The one I took apart had very distorted Plastic parts.

JUNK

maybe someone greased your hubs? like the man said, cleaning may help, manuals are the way to go. btw, now a 3rd choice on the market "superwinch" hubs

Back