Humming Rear End - Wheel Bearings or Diff? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Humming Rear End - Wheel Bearings or Diff?

I sure as hell hope you're buying SKF bearings and hubs for the front and rear so you are not having to do all of this again in a year.

Front:
xpn1ug.jpg

With the price you said you spent I already know you have put some junk hubs on the front.

Rear:

ma8abd.jpg

It may be a stupid question but why are the rear hubs so much cheaper?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that's the price of the rear hub bearing, it will cost double if you include the hub. In most cases the hub can be re-used and only the wheel bearig needs replaced. Since it's a PITA to replace the rear, better get a quality part. For the front cheap parts are OK if you're doing the work yourself since it can be replaced easily, you could buy a pair of decent quality front hubs for the price of a single SKF hub assembly.

that's the price of the rear hub bearing, it will cost double if you include the hub. In most cases the hub can be re-used and only the wheel bearig needs replaced. Since it's a PITA to replace the rear, better get a quality part. For the front cheap parts are OK if you're doing the work yourself since it can be replaced easily, you could buy a pair of decent quality front hubs for the price of a single SKF hub assembly.

How can i tell if a hub can be reused prior to taking everything apart?

it's after you take it apart, inspect for cracks and/or wear patterns (grove marks)
if the bearing is pulled out from the hub properly it should be re-usable, the ford service manual usually recommends replacing/throw it just like any fasteners that's removed.

Today, we throw away hubs left and right, unnecessarily. I was surprised to learn this when I first delved into my 2004. Rear wheel bearing was grinding away, I found the entire assembly, with hub, bearing, and speed sensor available for what I had paid for good quality Timken bearings not long before. Pressing bearing out of knuckle was uneventful.

Later, front bearing started grumbling. Taken apart, it appeared the OEM assembly had been swaged together, a lip roll-formed over the back side of the bearing O.D., such that the bearing was impossible to press out of the hub. Such was not the case for the rear.

Now I've seen both ball and roller bearing types are available, and wonder if anyone knows the answer to whether only the roller type are made removable, the ball type being permanently embedded in the hub? I prefer the roller type because even though it exhibits higher frictional loads, it resists squeezing sidewalls against curbs much better! o_O imp

Don't worry, if you can get it pressed out without having to cut it with a torch - you can reuse it.

Now I understand why I was being told to ask how the shop would do the job....all about pressing the bearing out.

Thanks for the replies everyone.....I finally feel like I get it lol

Notice the variety of spacers shown in the pressing operation in the video. I used, as I said, appropriately-sized 3/4-inch drive sockets, 'cause that's what I had. Note that the Knuckle is made of Aluminum, and may easily be broken if inappropriate support or inadequate support be provided. That is, if you have a press available for use. Many have written earlier of success using hammers. Good luck with that! imp

Notice the variety of spacers shown in the pressing operation in the video. I used, as I said, appropriately-sized 3/4-inch drive sockets, 'cause that's what I had. Note that the Knuckle is made of Aluminum, and may easily be broken if inappropriate support or inadequate support be provided. That is, if you have a press available for use. Many have written earlier of success using hammers. Good luck with that! imp
??? The rear knuckle is a cast steel forging. The re
The rear knuckle is a steel forging. It breaks because Ford didnt leave enough space for bearing splitter.

??? The rear knuckle is a cast steel forging. The re

The rear knuckle is a steel forging. It breaks because Ford didnt leave enough space for bearing splitter.
@Hugh Janus
My memory may be slipping, but for sure, the front knuckle is aluminum alloy. Now for the hell of it, ya got me looking for a magnet! imp

Back