• Register Today It's free!

HVAC Troubles / 2000 Explorer XLT

fanuke

Reaction score
City, State
Central Valley, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
Good day to all. This is my first post here, but I've been a "lurker" for a couple of years. I now have a problem that is puzzling me enough to post for some help.

I have a 2000 Explorer XLT, 2WD, OHV V6, Automatic Trans, Manual HVAC system and 180,000 miles.

The other day when I started my car, I turned on the A/C and could hear the compressor clutch engage but there was no air coming from the vents. I was puzzled because the system had performed properly when I shut the car off the night before.

I began troubleshooting by checking the blower motor fuses in the in-cab and under-hood fuse blocks. They tested good. I then checked the relay by swapping with another of the same p/n in the box located next to the under-hood fuses, but this made no difference either. I then consulted this forum on how to test the blower switch, which tested good. I next tested the blower motor and resistor pack, which both tested good. I checked for 12V on the OR/BLK wire on the blower control switch (Vent switch on) and it was there. I then checked continuity of the four wires at the blower switch to the blower motor resistor connector and all were good, except the OR/BLK wire, which showed no continuity.

I noticed that there is a relay pack under the dash right above the gas pedal and another in the engine compartment under the upper radiator hose. Since I could not locate any info on these relays, I swapped them with others of the same p/n just in case.

I have also reseated the connectors for the engine compartment wiring looms located above the driver's side exhaust manifold and on the passenger's side firewall (both are held together with 10mm headed bolts). I inspected them for bare or loose wires and found nothing obvious.

None of this work has made any difference. Where do I look now? It's 100+ degrees here for the next week (at least) so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

Back