• Register Today It's free!

HVAC Won't Change Modes

Mike762

Reaction score
City, State
McPherson KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Just recently purchased a '15 XLT. We have had it about two months and it has 46K miles. The weather has been hot so we have been using the AC on dash or mid vent. This weekend it was cool and foggy so I went to use the defrost mode. I've found that it does not change modes, It stays on dash. It will not go to floor mode either. The hot/cold blend works fine and the driver/passenger temps adjust properly. The recirculation actuator is working fine. I was thinking it must be a bad mode actuator. I can not find anything on a mode actuator. I see they have problems with the blend actuator. Where is the mode actuator located? I pulled the glove box and can see the blend and the recirculation actuators. It doesn't work from the SYNC system or the buttons below. They beep and light up like they are working. It also comes off of recirculation when you switch it to defrost or floor like it should, but it stays blowing from the dash vents. When I do a search, all i find is mode problems on 2010 and older. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Mike.:wave:
Found this post; Air only blows from defrost vents
Not sure if this diagram is of any help. I believe it is for the 2013 Explorer.

2011_explorer_componentviews_11.png

Peter

Just recently purchased a '15 XLT. We have had it about two months and it has 46K miles. The weather has been hot so we have been using the AC on dash or mid vent. This weekend it was cool and foggy so I went to use the defrost mode. I've found that it does not change modes, It stays on dash. It will not go to floor mode either. The hot/cold blend works fine and the driver/passenger temps adjust properly. The recirculation actuator is working fine. I was thinking it must be a bad mode actuator. I can not find anything on a mode actuator. I see they have problems with the blend actuator. Where is the mode actuator located? I pulled the glove box and can see the blend and the recirculation actuators. It doesn't work from the SYNC system or the buttons below. They beep and light up like they are working. It also comes off of recirculation when you switch it to defrost or floor like it should, but it stays blowing from the dash vents. When I do a search, all i find is mode problems on 2010 and older. Any help would be appreciated.
Did you ever figure this out? I have the same problem on my 2011

Is there any updates on this issue? My wife just informed me this exact problem is happening on our 2015 XLT.

Thank you

Jordan

It doesn't appear as though the original poster has been following this thread. He was last active on October 4th. That's the frustrating thing at times. People begin a thread and don't follow up. All I can think of is that there may be an issue with the blend doors or actuators.

Peter

It doesn't appear as though the original poster has been following this thread. He was last active on October 4th. That's the frustrating thing at times. People begin a thread and don't follow up. All I can think of is that there may be an issue with the blend doors or actuators.

Peter

Well thanks for the reply. Looks like I will have to take it in. The defrost not working is not great in the winter.

Chances are it is the c236 door which controls the direction.

Chances are it is the c236 door which controls the direction.

Any idea what that would cost? Is this something that I should take to a dealership? Its not under warranty anymore

Thanks

yh-1769 is what the dealership gave me for a part number on my 2016 with manual controls and no dual temp. looks like I have to look up to the right of the gas peddle. it is the upper actuator.

talked to a ford tech I know, the ipc (instrument cluster) has to come out as well. parts will be here tomorrow.

My 2015 Explorer is not diverting hot or cold air to the defrost vents, WHY?

My 2015 Explorer is not diverting hot or cold air to the defrost vents, WHY?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I merged your thread with this one and although it isn't exactly the same your issue, it does address the inability to switch to defrost. As BrooklynBay mentioned, it is likely an issue with a blend door actuator.

Peter

Heat and AC works great. Air only comes out the air vents and not the defrost or floor. Help

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this one.
Chances are it may be an issue with the vent mode actuator.

Peter

Did you ever figure this out? I have the same problem on my 2011
This exact thing happened to my 2016 Ford Explorer Limited. It was a relay switch type thing located inside the dash. Sorry if my terminology is wrong or bad, but it looked like a little black box. I purchased the part at a local parts store, and my dad spent about 3-4 hours taking the dash apart to put it in, but I was good to go after that. About $40 total, but a major pain in the ass. There are videos on YouTube showing how to replace it.

This exact thing happened to my 2016 Ford Explorer Limited. It was a relay switch type thing located inside the dash. Sorry if my terminology is wrong or bad, but it looked like a little black box. I purchased the part at a local parts store, and my dad spent about 3-4 hours taking the dash apart to put it in, but I was good to go after that. About $40 total, but a major pain in the ass. There are videos on YouTube showing how to replace it.
Welcome to the Forum.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back