i always found this odd about tires | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i always found this odd about tires

the sizes...

can't they just stick to 1 measurement ?

this is what it is :

P / LT 265 / 70 / R16

P = Passenger
LT = Light truck
265 is width in MM (wich is metric)
70 = Height in % compared to width
R = Radius
16 - 16 " rim (standart)

can't they just make all the tires in just 1...either all metric or all standart like the 31*10.20*15 ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

most of the parts on my american truck say made in mexico and most of the bolts are 8,10, & 12 millimeter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Foreign vs. Domestic

I have a Toyota that was built from 80% US parts. My friend has a ford that is 80% Mexican parts. Another has a Chrysler that is 80% Canadian parts. My father's BMW is also about 80% American parts. Go figure. I tried and hurt myself.

Does it matter where it's made ? I figure if it works it's all good..

True, true...

Oh I whole-heartedly agree. My Toyota and Ford are great cars, which is all that matters. It's pretty ironic that my import car is more domestic than my domestic car. I just think it's funny when I hear a "good ole boy" say I ONLY BUY AMERICAN, NONE OF THAT FOREIGN CRAP. I mean, I have absolutely no problem with supporting the good old USA. I also know that my Toyota was built in the US by Americans. My dad's Beemer was built in Greenville, South Carolina. Irony, that's all.

Metric/Standard

Did you know that it was the US that got Canada to convert to metric. After we got converted and asked to American why they havent finish with it, the answer was '' To expensive, we stick with good old english mesurement''. Now you are stuck between standard and metric LOL . Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.... Got to love the Borg's, they knew what was going to appen.

Well we have somewhat converted.. My trade is surveying, and we don't use inches and feet, we use a 10th of a foot and a 100th of a foot, so you could say that we are converting.

I was born on the Faroe Islands and moved to Denmark at the age of 6, I lived there for 13 years before moving over here, so i'm very use to metric and it sure is a easy system to learn and use.

DocVijay,
I agree with you, my granpa always said the same thing, I only buy american, but now a days you never know where the car is comming from.

One thing that should change is ford using metrix bolts, that is really starting to piss me off.. LOL..

Back