I am losing clutch fluid and the engine doesn't rev with the gas pedal when starting. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I am losing clutch fluid and the engine doesn't rev with the gas pedal when starting.

Carl Toutant

Reaction score
City, State
Coquitlam, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 4.0L Pushrod
I have two major problems. I drive a 92 Ford Explorer 4.0 L Pushrod, I am losing clutch fluid and the engine doesn't rev with the gas pedal when starting and after 30 min. The second problem got worse and worse and now I had to limp home on the side of the highway. The engine seems to sputter and miss like it's not getting fuel. Usually to fix the problem I would turn the engine off, cruising or stopped, restart it and I wouldn't have a problem for another 10 minutes or so or if I came to a large hill. As far as losing clutch fluid, I lose a few drops a day, but sometimes it goes fast. I have lost over an ounce of fluid just pumping the clutch with the engine on, cardboard underneeth was clean. I am flabergasted as to where the fluid is going.

Maybe a fuel pump relay? That would be a cheap and easy fix if so.

Your clutch fluid is probably leaking out of the slave cylinder. I think this is a pretty common problem with the 5 speed. I think the seal in mine is going too. The problem is this isn't such an easy fix.. The slave is actually inside the transmission.

I don't know.. I'm pretty much guessing. Some things too look further into though.

The slave is on the drive shaft on the front of the tranny. If you have a bigger jack or a tranny jack and are mechanicaly inclined it wouldn't be to bad a job to replace it.

Back