I can't find where the coolant is leaking. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I can't find where the coolant is leaking.

flipnjenny

Reaction score
City, State
Charlottesville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
Hello all, I am a owner of a 2007 ford explorer sport trac Xlt 4wd has about 89,000 miles. recently smelled radiator fluid, checked fluid and it was empty. I never seen any leaks. I ran some water thru and waited to find where it was leaking from. radiator shows no sign of leaks, but fluid is leaking from somewhere I cant see. Also, recently my fan seems to be running in excessive spirts that sounds like the motor is revving but in fact it is not. Is all of this related? My console has not shown any engine repair lites, low fluids, nothing.
I took the truck to ford when the fan was revving, but they could not find any problems. Any suggestions where to look first? Has anyone else had similar problems?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First thing I would do is change out the oil and make sure you do not have a blown head gasket.

my 07 xlt had a leak (cracked radiator) got it replaced under warranty, then kept having a small puddle of antifreeze on the garage floor, but not on a regular basis. I noticed it more via the overflow tank being low on a continuous basis. Traced it back to the water pump via a trail of white residue being left on the motor/undercarriage of the truck.

well the oil is clean. doesnt look like theres any sign of blown head gasket but not ruleing it out. coolent is leaking somewhere on top of top block. its pooling up beside the head and theres no puddle underneath the car. theres a sensor right there but not sure what it goes to, going to do some more research to see what i can find. but if anyone might be able to help me that would be great, only transportation. thanks

Not sure about '07's but '08's have a box frame. This can be a place for fluids to hide.
My VW Thing has a bad master cylinder, the brake fluid hides in the tunnel and never hits the ground.

thermostat housing leaking into the valley of the engine?

i looked at the thermostat housing. doesnt look to be damaged or anything. drove it around today but theres still no sign of blown head gasket. but there is a antifreeze green tint mixed in with junk in my manifold holes, never seen anything like it. i just cant figure out where it would be geting into the mani at. im trying to do trail and error but feels like i should just do headgaket and work my way up.. and do i have to do anything with the timing to take the heads off?

well if you look at the last thread I created you will see I also had the same problem. Spotted a 5 inch crack along the top of the radiator. Had to remove the overflow tank to see it.

my 2001 coolant leak

i looked at the thermostat housing. doesnt look to be damaged or anything. drove it around today but theres still no sign of blown head gasket. but there is a antifreeze green tint mixed in with junk in my manifold holes, never seen anything like it. i just cant figure out where it would be geting into the mani at. im trying to do trail and error but feels like i should just do headgaket and work my way up.. and do i have to do anything with the timing to take the heads off?

On my 2001 I had a coolant leak I could not find. I now have a 2008, and haven't even looked at the differences in the models yet. However the thermostat housing on my 2001 is a two part system. The lower part which mounts to the block was leaking. I could smell it and had to keep putting in fluid until Finally the leak got bad enough to find. You might check to see if thats the culprit. Ordered and replaced the parts. There is a good thread on the forum with pics. Just can't remeber exactly where.

good info about the 2 part thermo housing. I'm going to keep an eye on mine as well because I sometimes smell coolant, but I recently replaced the radiator (within last 7-10) days, so it might be nothing abnormal. Not loosing any coolant either from what I can see.

Sport trac problems

Did you ever find out what was wrong with your Sport trac? Mine is doing the same thing.

Hello all, I am a owner of a 2007 ford explorer sport trac Xlt 4wd has about 89,000 miles. recently smelled radiator fluid, checked fluid and it was empty. I never seen any leaks. I ran some water thru and waited to find where it was leaking from. radiator shows no sign of leaks, but fluid is leaking from somewhere I cant see. Also, recently my fan seems to be running in excessive spirts that sounds like the motor is revving but in fact it is not. Is all of this related? My console has not shown any engine repair lites, low fluids, nothing.
I took the truck to ford when the fan was revving, but they could not find any problems. Any suggestions where to look first? Has anyone else had similar problems?

Gen 2's seem to have a common problem of cracked radiator tanks. Mine had a small crack at the top but did not drip onto the ground because it would evaporate before it got to the bottom of the radiator. Because the tanks are plastic they are not repairable and you have to replace the whole radiator. Mine was replaced on the extended warranty, which between the radiator, alternator, and three front hub and bearing assemblies, they haven't made any money on. :D

Gen 2's have a higher pressure radiator cap than Gen 1's, like 20 lb as I recall, and after I got the new radiator I replaced the cap with a 16 lb unit to hopefully keep it from cracking again.

wow,
I found a damp corner on the bottom of my radiator last night when I pulled the shield to install my bull bar. Guess I will have to pull the shroud and check when the weather turns reasonable again. How much work is involved in replacing a rad or is it a dealer only deal like the one on my wife's escape? I know I couldn't do hers due to the condenser for the ac being in the way.

Back