• Register Today It's free!

I can't get my rear door open.

saabstory

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, Oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer AWD
Hi, I am a new member and recently bought a 1997 explorer awd. I got a wonderful price on it because it has high milage and needs some work. The rear drivers side door had been taken apart, I am assuming because there was some kind of problem. My problem is that I can't get it open from the outside or inside.

Is there a way that by manipulating something inside the door, I can get it to open? I replaced the door lock actuator on the passenger side door, so I have felt around in there a little. But I couldn't really see anything on the inside that I could use to open the door. Truthfully I do not know if it is locked or unlocked at this point.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

Hi saabstory;
Congratulations on your 97 w/high mileage.
Explorers are very well known to last a loonnggg time.

Is the door panel off?
If it is off, you will see a rod running horizontally.

WEAR A PAIR OF GLOVES TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM INJURY
AND PROTECT YOUR ARM WITH SOMETHING AS WELL

There are some pretty sharp edges that can cause one hell of a cut!!

Quickly pull the rod horizontally toward the front.
Hopefully it will open for you. :thumbsup:
I will check back to see how you made out. Yes there is a way to open the door. I have another trick up my sleeve
if it did not open.
Welcome to the Forums here.
Rick

Thanks.

I ran out of daylight today, but will give it a try tomorrow. The door panel is off and now I can't remember if the inside handle is attached. How stupid of me. lol.

I will let you know how it goes. Still not sure what else might need to be done in there, but I did see the bar.

It should open up when you pull horizontally on the rod.
BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU POKE AROUND INSIDE. WEAR SOME GLOVES FOR THE HANDS AND SOMETHING FOR THE ARM.
I GOT HACKED UP IN THERE ONE DAY CHANGING AN ACTUATOR

The only way this door will not open is if someone welded it closed. LOL
I will check back....good luck.
Rick

That rod is not connected to anything. Nor is the interior handle in place. And I can feel the rod coming down from the outside handle and it is just dangling. Also the lock acuator for that door has been taken out.

It seems like I can feel where the rods should attach, but I am not sure.

Hi Saabstory;
I have a whole manual on CD ROM and I am trying to post a picture
of the lock mechanism. Hang on for a few ...I need to figure this out so I can get the sketch posted.
Rick

Hmmmm...What the ---
Hang on

Hi Saabstory;

Please check your private message at this forum.
It tells you how I can get the sketch to you.
If you have a good idea where those rods go...the sketch will work out fine.
I am trying to figure out why the previous owner disconnected the rods that lead to the latch mechanism.
The rod that runs horizontally will absolutely open the door !!
I will get back to you through the email so I can attach the sketch and you will be all set.
Rick

hello i am have the same problem and i beat the piss outta that rod front and back nothing. i really think someone did weld my door shut :rolleyes:
hey Rick you said you had another trick up your sleeve care to share??? and maybe send over the pic to me pleaseeeee
Thanks for any help
Danny

Hi Danny;
Sure I will send you a pic.... Hang on...I will get it to you.
Rick

Hi Danny;
Back again..

Let me se if this all went alright.
That is the actuator... this picture posting is all new to me.. I will get the hang of it sooner or later...Hopefully SOONER
Rick

Back again;
This is a picture focusing on the actuator

This is focusing on the rods and lock mechanism
I will check again....
Again ....as you can tell... this is new to me :rolleyes:
Rick

Hi Danny;
This picture posting stuff is not working out too good.

I will send you a private message with some info so I can get the sketches to you.

When you were beating the piss outta the rod, was it the rod that ran horizontally?
The horizontal rod is the main rod and easiest to get at.
Put a pair of vise grips on the rod and force the rod toward the front
(Away from the lock mechanism). Whack the vise grips with a hammer.
Wear a pair of gloves ...you can get cut all to hell in and around there.

The other trick I have up my sleeve is to remove the rear glass run channel. When the glass run channel is removed it makes it a much easier world to work in.
You can see more of the lock mechanism and you are not so restricted to room needed to poke around in there. Also you could remove the other door panel (Takes about 2 minutes) and you can get a good visual on the working mechanism!!

Let me get the pics to you and you should be all set.
I am still trying to figure out why the hell the doors for you and Saabstory are jammed up. Any way of getting hold of the previous owner?
Rick

hello
im not sure what happened the guy i got it from said its been like that for as long as he can remember.. but im telling you this thing not wanna go anywhere lol
Danny

Back