• Register Today It's free!

I got a new(to me) EX

calylove

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mounty V8/ '92 XLT
Tada- and I’m back in the EX game. I am happy to report that I am once again the proud owner of a 1992 XLT. I needed a second vehicle real bad and found an unbelievable deal so I’m in. I thus far have only two concerns.

When I push the “stick” down for the turn signals they don’t stay lit. If I move it up and down manually, it blinks fine, but all the way down in the on position and I get nothing. Any ideas?

The other is the a/c. It blows slightly cooler but that’s it. I’m thinking of trying one of those recharge cans they sell at auto parts store. Any advice? Do they really work? How many do I need? Etc.

I’ll get some pics up when I clean her up this weekend and let you know of any other things that need attention. Otherwise...it feels good to be back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you just need a new flasher module, super cheap!
AC you can do yourself, but best left for a shop.. If its low, its for a reason..

On my 97 the problem was the multifunction switch, got a new one off of ebay for ~15dlls and that was it, when I took it off (prior to buying the new one) it was clear that it was damaged, so I just replaced it and problem gone, you might want to take a look at it, on mine there were 2 plates that made the contact and one of them was broken from the housing with no real way of putting it back

On the AC not sure, I was planning on doing that, but a friend who owns a shop told me not to, he said that the pressure on mine was high due to something that I don't remember lol and that if I had put the refill can I could have bursted a line, so I say that if you don't have experience with the AC don't do the can....

Awesome- I'll look for the signal thing. Any idea best place to get one? I might try one of the cans of AC recharge and see if it helps. if not- iff to the shop for estimate.

thanks for the reply

that doens't sound good- i won't do the can then. I have that kind of luck!!

When it comes to the flasher problem, check the cheapest part first. If the lights are coming on but not blinking the flasher module is more than likely just stuck in the closed position. Pretty normal for a module that is that age, they just get worn out and finally contact and spot weld themselves in a closed circuit....

I haven't had the problem with the blinker on the Ex but other vehicles do that when one of the bulbs is out.

I can't find info on a flasher module. Nothing on google anyway. Is this something i can just pickup at the auto shop??

Yip, its under your drivers side dash in the fuse panel. Its the round thing! If you need I can take pics, but its very easy to find. Any auto parts store will have it in stock! Just pulls out, and pop in the new one! Simple!

Nope i just looked and know what it looks like now. Off to the shop tonight and no more cutting people off.

Thanks

No problem, if its not that then I can step you through more in depth troubleshooting.

Feel free to IM with any questions.

Bingo- that was it on the signals. Thanks for the help. I deceided to let the a/c alone for now.

I do notice another thing, its old with a lot of miles but it seems almost like i am in 4wd. Is there an easy way to check? Or can i unplug anything to be sure im not? It seems like a lot of power coming from the back wheels(not sure if we are fwd or rrwd) but also pretty sluggish in general.

I'm thinking of doind a thorough fuel cleaner, spark plug, and air filter job to see if that helps at all. Just curious for thoughts.

Thanks

Back