I have a problem with my clutch master cylinder line. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have a problem with my clutch master cylinder line.

wmcarterwmcarter

Reaction score
City, State
austell, ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 exporer xl
Hey to everyone,, and i do have a problem with my 94 explorer clutch master ,, air in line,, and it seems to be leaking from trying to bleed so much,, HELP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey to everyone,, and i do have a problem with my 94 explorer clutch master ,, air in line,, and it seems to be leaking from trying to bleed so much,, HELP

Hey, right back at ya and Welcome

How do you know it has air in the line?
Is it an old one that got too low?
Or a new install?

Does it have an actual bleed screw?
Or are you cracking a fitting?
Leaking from trying to bleed it too much? Have you stripped some threads?

Ok, wait, the master cyl or the slave cly?

There's a vid on Utube. The master tech was bleeding air out for a new install. What he did was assemble the clutch system out of the truck with the reservoir hung up high so that every thing was in a verti. Then he tapped on the lines with a screwdriver handle to make the air bubbles rise to the top.

the clutch master cylinder should be "bench bled" before hooking up the hydro line to the slave cylinder

it is easy to bottom out a new master cylinder when installed, if not bled properly (pushing the pedal too far too hard)
this would result in needing another new master cylinder

bleeding the internal slave cylinder can be a real PITA, but there are several tricks to getting it done properly

so please explain exactly what problem you are having, what has been done up until now, etc

did you bench bleed the new master cylinder and hydro line?

I must have gotten lucky. When i replaced the clutch and all hydraulic components on my 92, I basically gravity bled it first then bled it like you would brakes.

It worked fine until a clutch disc spring broke a month later! (there went the luck)

Back