I have ideas for my explorer but unsure if they will work. let me know please! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have ideas for my explorer but unsure if they will work. let me know please!

tom_mcmullen006

Reaction score
City, State
Yelm Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT 4x4
I want to put a 302 and a c4 tranny in my explorer. Will they bolt up to the factory transfer case?
I want to put a 3 inch body lift on it, Will it be too tall? will it roll over easily?
is there enough room under my hood for a 302?

thanks for looking and helping me out!!!

SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH

No, but seriously... this question has been answered 1000 times on here. Just look around a little, read some threads, and you'll find all the info you need. Also, check out a website called "Google" it can be a big help as well...

Remeber a c4 does not have overdrive so you will be rocking down the road at 3k rpm if you don't look into tire size, and gear ratios!! and yes all your questions have been asked on this site sooooooo many times do a good search.

Couple of things just in case you don't actually search.

1. The body lift will be fine, but realize that you've lifted your center of gravity and drive accordingly. Explorers are not sports cars in the first place and lifted Explorers are REALLY not sports cars. You would be better served to cut away some sheetmetal than lifting, but do what you have to do and don't look back. After all, the Explorer is now a 15+ year old piece of iron on its way to the salvage yard. May as well have some fun with it first.

2. You certainly can run a 302/c4 combo, and they can be made to fit the stock transfer case. But you can never run one and also be legal for emissions purposes UNLESS you (a) run an engine as new or newer than the one in your Explorer (b) run the COMPLETE wiring harness and all pollution equipment, including dashboard and fuel system and, (c) be prepared to deal with a whole host of fabrication issues that will crop up, including making your own motor and transmission mounts, bending custom exhaust, figuring out all the wire pin-outs, and dealing with cooling issues.

3. It is not as inexpensive as you think... In fact, the cheapest route is to rebuild your stock engine.

4. Most guys that start this sort of project never finish...

Back