• Register Today It's free!

I have no heat!

Holeychest

Reaction score
City, State
Ottumwa, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Mountaineer AWD V6
This started after an intense day of mudding, followed by 11 days of shoveling my Mounty out. I got home and pressure washed the bottom for an hour trying to get all the mud(clay) out (still some there after a month later). After that my heat stopped working. It blows out very cold air. if I try to adjust it to heat, I get a bunch of quick clicking noises on the passenger side, when it is turned to cold, it has a slower louder click coming from the drivers side. There is no noise if kept in the 8:30 position. Also, it takes a long time for it to change over from the defrost to feet and every other selection.

Would this be the heater core, or could it be a lose ground, or something else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am really getting the cold shoulder here... (HA terrible joke)

I think your Mounty is pissed off at you for being stuck in the mud for 11 days. She's making you suffer!!!! :D I have no idea. How does it run other than that?

That thing is a tank. I am sure sure is mad. I went down this b road that was so soggy that our tractor could reach it. It is still running fine. Not having heat is no fun in the mornings though.

Are your hoses under the hood heating up? Does the temp gauge go up to normal? If so, the clicking is probably the temp door trying to move, and not moving. I have heard in extreme cases of water getting inside them after mudding, then freezing in place. Unfortunately the doors on these are very fragile, and not easy to replace.

I have not really looked under the hood. The temp reads out just fine. Is there some way I could check the doors?

Wouldn't the doors be inside under the dash? So are you saying that if you drive for an hour or so, you still have absolutly no heat? Or does is just take a while to get some heat?

I have no heat whatsoever. I just get very cold air blown at me. I have just stopped using it all together and just wear a coat in the morning. The engine will be all warmed up, but the air will still be frigid.

She has the PMS. LOL!

The joys of dual zone climate control (DATC) - sounds like you have two blend doors not working instead of just one. I posted a diagnostic procedure for the DATC here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198271&highlight=blend+door&page=5
You should read through that whole thread to get an idea where the blend door actuator is located on the driver's side. It's pretty easy to change - the one you have on the passenger side will be harder. Post back here if you get any on-demand or continuous DTCs from the diagnostic. Good luck.

Back