No Heat

skidoomxz99

Reaction score
City, State
Leominster, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Hello,

I did a quick search before posting. My wife just called me and told me that her 02 EB is now blowing out cold air when turning on the heat. I asked her if there is a clicking noise coming from under the dash and she said no. The car does have auto climate control. Could this be an issue with the blend door? I am still at work and will try to look at it later on tonight/tomorrow.

Thanks,
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure it's not overheating. If it is could be bad thermostat.

OK- I will definetely check that the temperature is not rising! What should the normal operating temperature be at?

Anything else to check out?

Thanks!

I took the car for a ride on Wednesday, and the heat appeared to still not be working. So, I started changing between the different modes (dual, feet, defroster, etc.) and I noticed that heat started coming out on the passenger side foot vent. The heat was then working on both sides. Now, it was probably in the 30's here on Wednesday so it wasn't that cold.

However, on Friday my wife called me to say that the heat is not WORKING again!

I have taken it for a couple rides and the temperature is just below half way on the temp. gauge. It doesn't appear to be running hot.

Please, does anyone haveinformation on troubleshooting heating issues? The car is a 2002 EB with dual-climate zones. Also, my wife states that sometimes when turning on the auto climate control that the "A/C" comes on automatically, and she has to turn it OFF. Anyone know why this is and could this be related?

On mine it was the valve, not sure what it's called but, passenger side of motor about middle along the exhaust manifold.

Really couldn't tell by looking, the arm moved but was not turning the valve open / close. I found it by disconnecting the coolant hose up by the thermosat and at the fire wall. blew through the hose and kept following the path for a blockage.

The arm that opens / closes coolant to the heater spun on the ball valve shaft.

I removed the valve out of the hoses, easy job, drilled and tapped the ball valve shaft, locktited a 8/32 threaded stud in. Put on the arm and used a nylock nut to hold the two pcs. tight together.

Has worked like that two winters now

Hope this helps

racin8 - thanks for the reply! Do you have a picture by chance of the valve? Did your car blow out cold air only?

sorry no pictures.

Very noticeable, it's just outside of the exhaust manifold / middle, connects to a bracket to the block. Remove your air filter and tube, you'll see it. Or, have a helper turn the heat dial full on / full off, you'll see the actutor move the arm.

If you don't want to repair now and get some heat you can just turn the valve open so coolant runs all the time, if your weather is like here in MI, heat only for a few months!

Took me about two hours out and back in with the rig job but, hey, still works

sorry no pictures.

Very noticeable, it's just outside of the exhaust manifold / middle, connects to a bracket to the block. Remove your air filter and tube, you'll see it. Or, have a helper turn the heat dial full on / full off, you'll see the actutor move the arm.

If you don't want to repair now and get some heat you can just turn the valve open so coolant runs all the time, if your weather is like here in MI, heat only for a few months!

Took me about two hours out and back in with the rig job but, hey, still works

racin8, hey, that's a great catch! Go take some pics and post them here. I'd like to see your fix. We've been sending people to the blend door actuator replacement thread when they get no heat. The heater control valve in the inlet heater hose being stuck closed is of course another possibility.

skidoom, let us know if that's what's wrong with yours.

Got the pictures, how do I post 'em?

Got the pictures, how do I post 'em?

You'd think there'd be a tutorial in here but I can't find it.

What I do is upload my pics to photobucket.com. Once uploaded and saved I mouseover the pic I want and then click the Image Code link. You might have to right click and select copy to get the image code in your clipboard. Then when you want to insert the pic into a post here you click on the icon that looks like a mountain. Then just ctr+v into the pop up dialogue box to paste the image code in. Confused yet? It's really pretty simple... :D

Oh yeah, you can become elite then you get to post pics directly here. :D:D

Is it possible that the Heater Control Valve in the inlet heat being stuck closed could only happen when it's below freezing (32 degrees)? Today was 60 in MA, and of course the heat worked perfect.. Go figure..

I am hoping it gets cold in the next day or two, so that I can troubleshoot this!

Thanks racing8! Looking forward to seeing pictures.

Try this.... first pix back from passenger fender, see the coolant res, next temp control cold, and next temp control full hot and see the stud screw with nylock nut

rrgone, you rock with photobucket tip!!!

Awesome.. I will take a look at this tomorrow! Appreciate you uploading the pics.

Sorry for not replying sooner. I did a tune-up on my 00 EB on Tuesday, and didn't have enough time to troubleshoot the heat issue on the 02. I am going to work on the 02 this Sunday, since I am working this week.

It's been very cold and snowy this week and the heat has only been blowing out cold air.. Sometimes the passenger side starts to blow out semi warm air. The temp has been in the teens with wind chill.

I am having a similar problem and so based upon this thread and above pictures I looked for the heater control valve. In my vehicle the control actuator is installed 180 degrees different from the photos but I did manage to find it. Upon starting the engine the control arm was seen to be in the full open position and manually moving it closed and then releasing it results in it returning to the open position. I also was able to feel the heat of the supply line as it heated up from the coolant flowing through it. And I am able to feel the return line heat up as the coolant circulates. Both get to the point of too hot to touch. I had just picked up a thermostat thinking that was the problem but will now return it as I am convinced the engine and heater coils are getting hot enough. I have a climagte control system with dual driver/passenger controls and this past summer had to have the blower/fan assemble replaced. Could they have done anything that would have caused no/low heat in my system? The A/C worked fine all summer so no problem on the cooling side of things. Any ideas? Thanks.

I am having a similar problem and so based upon this thread and above pictures I looked for the heater control valve. In my vehicle the control actuator is installed 180 degrees different from the photos but I did manage to find it. Upon starting the engine the control arm was seen to be in the full open position and manually moving it closed and then releasing it results in it returning to the open position. I also was able to feel the heat of the supply line as it heated up from the coolant flowing through it. And I am able to feel the return line heat up as the coolant circulates. Both get to the point of too hot to touch. I had just picked up a thermostat thinking that was the problem but will now return it as I am convinced the engine and heater coils are getting hot enough. I have a climagte control system with dual driver/passenger controls and this past summer had to have the blower/fan assemble replaced. Could they have done anything that would have caused no/low heat in my system? The A/C worked fine all summer so no problem on the cooling side of things. Any ideas? Thanks.

Sounds like your heater control valve is working correctly.

BTW, great pics racin8! Thanks for posting those.

Sounds like your heater control valve is working correctly.

BTW, great pics racin8! Thanks for posting those.

Thanks, I am now in the blend door discussion to see if I can resolve this!! Cheers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Racing8 -

Here's an update from our last discussion.. The heater control valve was broken (just like yours) on my 02 Explorer and I was going to do the quick fix like you did.. However, given the condition of mine I decided that I would install a new heater control valve. The part stores did not stock the valve which I needed, so I decided to install a heater hose connector and by passed the heater control valve for now.

So far, the heat has been working since installing the heater hose connector. I am also going to order and install a new thermostat since the car has 100k on it at the same time that I install the new heater control valve.

Thanks for all the help!

Back