I have returned! With 4x4 issues... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have returned! With 4x4 issues...

97exploderXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Newport, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer xlt
Hey guys. Long time no see. Finally found me another exploder. This time it's a 96 with the pushrod beast. Picked her up for a grand and I have a few issues.

I have no 4x4. I can sit here and put the thing in neutral and turn the dial and I get nothing out of the front end. I can put her in 4 low and I can hear the motor on the xfer case doing its thing but there's no typical "cachunk" sound of the gears meshing and the chain tightening inside the box which is a sound I'm sure you're all familiar with lol.

It does change the ratios in the box because when I do this I'm suddenly a torque monster... with 2 wheels...
I've replaced the drivers side abs sensor and the passenger side hub and sensor (abs light is still on though).

Anyone have any ideas or input on this issue??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see in your description you had a 98 Eddie Bauer with left overs, would you have the un-cut engine bay wire harness?
As for your 4x4 issues I have no idea. When I first picked up mine it was sitting in a field for over a year and I got no "cachunk" either I took all the connectors apart and cleaned them also looked for mouse chew as I had a lot of it on the inside and wa la it worked. I know it might have been luck in how that worked out but you never know how it might work for you.
Robert

I see in your description you had a 98 Eddie Bauer with left overs, would you have the un-cut engine bay wire harness?
As for your 4x4 issues I have no idea. When I first picked up mine it was sitting in a field for over a year and I got no "cachunk" either I took all the connectors apart and cleaned them also looked for mouse chew as I had a lot of it on the inside and wa la it worked. I know it might have been luck in how that worked out but you never know how it might work for you.
Robert

I doubt that I have the harness but I can take a look. I never know with my garage, there's so many parts in there it's unreal lol

Give me a few days to dig around and I'll let you know

On a side note I ran the codes and got 9 different chassis codes ranging from c1101 to c1214. So I have pretty much a complete abs system failure, including the wheel speed sensor I just replaced... lol

I vaguely remember something about a non functioning abs system shutting a few other systems down with it but I don't remember if the control trac system was one of them..

Anyone care to chime in?

Hey guys. Long time no see. Finally found me another exploder. This time it's a 96 with the pushrod beast. Picked her up for a grand and I have a few issues.

I have no 4x4. I can sit here and put the thing in neutral and turn the dial and I get nothing out of the front end. I can put her in 4 low and I can hear the motor on the xfer case doing its thing but there's no typical "cachunk" sound of the gears meshing and the chain tightening inside the box which is a sound I'm sure you're all familiar with lol.

It does change the ratios in the box because when I do this I'm suddenly a torque monster... with 2 wheels...
I've replaced the drivers side abs sensor and the passenger side hub and sensor (abs light is still on though).

Anyone have any ideas or input on this issue??
Hi . I just signed up to this page because I am having the exact same problems as you are. I'm not sure how old this post was but I was wondering if you found the fix to the problem? I have a 99 explorer eb and every problem you stated I have as well. My dash lights are saying I'm in four wheel but it's not engaging. Thank you

That was helpful but it also gave me a lot more possibilities as to what could be wrong/broken.

My initial thought would be malfunctioning GEM but if that were the case the power windows and a few other systems would work intermittently or even not at all.. correct?

Second thought, the electro-magnetic clutch. I had a problem with it not staying engaged on my 97 xlt and the brown wire mod fixed that. But on this 96 the front end doesn't engage at all.

Thirdly, I replaced my relays for the abs system and the light and codes have gone away, yet still no 4x4. And I finally got it to clunk the way I'm used to fords doing when shifting into 4L but still no engagement of the front axel..

I'm at a stand still between hitting everything with a multi meter and physically tearing this truck apart (which I don't have the funds, time, or willingness to do).

In hindsight I completely missed how much of a difference there is in just the front axle from 95/6 to 97+. I did a little more research and found out that the 95-96 had a CAD... so knowing that having a few missing vacuum lines is what's causing my AC to be inop, I'll go tomorrow and check the solenoid and associated vacuum lines for the CAD.. will post progress in the daylight tomorrow

Turns out the vacuum ballast under the air box was completely disconnected and the lines were just dangling there. Hooked them back up and bingo. Off we go up the mountain

Easy.... The best fix's ever...

Turns out the vacuum ballast under the air box was completely disconnected and the lines were just dangling there. Hooked them back up and bingo. Off we go up the mountain
awesome!...gotta love simple fixes....now back to searchin my P0303 codes....lol

awesome!...gotta love simple fixes....now back to searchin my P0303 codes....lol

Miss fire on cylinder 3 iirc. Check wire, plug, and coil pack

Miss fire on cylinder 3 iirc. Check wire, plug, and coil pack

Yup, done those. Compression check is next before I go messing with injectors or anything in fuel system.

Sorry for the late reply. Been busy work work. Check your ecu before anything else. Like physically pull it out and open it up and check for a bad board or melted caps/diodes. Had this happen to my villager. P0300 and p0304. The ecu had literally caught on fire and burned half the injector modules on the board. And I didn't realize It was the ecu until it burned holed in 3 pistons from over fueling and detonating and I replaced the motor after a failed comp check and the new motor was running exactly the same

Sorry for the late reply. Been busy work work. Check your ecu before anything else. Like physically pull it out and open it up and check for a bad board or melted caps/diodes. Had this happen to my villager. P0300 and p0304. The ecu had literally caught on fire and burned half the injector modules on the board. And I didn't realize It was the ecu until it burned holed in 3 pistons from over fueling and detonating and I replaced the motor after a failed comp check and the new motor was running exactly the same

Thanks, thats good info. Putting it on my list of things to check next weekend.

Thanks, thats good info. Putting it on my list of things to check next weekend.

Didnt get a chance to pull ecu but did run vacuum test and i think it was good.... 18.5 and steady at idle....dropped to just above 0 when i hit throttle....raised to 25 when i let off and then quickly settled to 18.5 again.

Back