I like it loud!

Isles4evr

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL 2dr
I have to stock muffler, and side exit exaust on my Explorer. Would sound nice if I took off the muffler and just got a piece of extention pipe with a tip and ran it out the back? My friend has a 92 Blazer withthe 4.3L Vortec in it with a cat-back dual system w/out mufflers. It sounds pretty darn nice. Anyone have any sound clips of what mine would sound like?

I would appreciate any info!
Thanks,
Chris
'91 Explorer 2dr

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't just cut off your muffler. What I would do is go out and buy a high-flow muffler like a flowmaster. If you just take off your muffler its an anoying sound but it is loud. If you put on a flowmaster it will make it sound a ton better and it will still be loud.

------------------
Jim Ferrarini
Skaman0182@yahoo.com
96 Sport 5-speed
JBA headers
Borla cat-back exhaust
modified airbox
K&N filter
+4 plugs
8.5mm wires
other small mods.
Coming soon:
K&N filter kit

After the truckhaven trip i modified my exhaust. I know have a side exit. Heres how it is. It goes cat then 2 chamber flowmaster and about a foot of pipe to get it out. Its Alot louder than it was before i had 2.25 pipe and the 2 chamber running in the stock place. I have lost some power though. Its weird i have no mid range power right now. I have more low end and high but nothin in between. It should sound even better once i get my headers. =)
Hope this helps.

------------------
Brian
94 2wd
4" Fabtech Lift
265/75/16
Flowmaster 2 chamber 2.25"
KKM intake
Clears all the way around
4.11 gears w/Auburn posi

I am running duals from my catalytic converters back, with no mufflers, I like the sound, it isn't all that loud either, and I did notice a but more a$$ under me!!!

------------------
Jim
'92 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Dual 2.25 exhaust, no Mufflers
Drilled AirBox
Bosch Platinum plugs
Low Temp Pro Thermostat
Cobra 148GTL W/K40 Mag
235/60's

Hey, thanks guys for your input! I forgot to mention that this would only be temperaroy, as I am going to get duals in a little bit. I'm not sure if I am going to put flowmasters on the duals or just nothing. Do you know if I take it off for now if it will be solid sounding for kinda broken up, if you can understand me. If not, it's alright... I'll just experiment.

Thanks a bunch,
Chris
'91 Explorer 2dr

hey tymekeeper, how did you run the duals? do you still have the spare tire? pics or a diagram would be really helpful!
thanks!

Yes, I still have a spare tire, they are routed down the right side until just before the right rear tire, then one cuts off to the right, over the spare, we had to cut out some of the metal, wasn't a bit deal, and I still have room for a reciever hitch, when I get the money. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Jim
'92 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Dual 2.25 exhaust, no Mufflers
Drilled AirBox
Bosch Platinum plugs
Low Temp Pro Thermostat
Cobra 148GTL W/K40 Mag
235/60's

Back