• Register Today It's free!

I miss my Explorer.

explorerjosh

Reaction score
City, State
Coral Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLS Base
It's been about 6 months since I sold my 2004 Ford Explorer, 120k miles, $3500. I miss it so much. In its place came a 2017 VW Jetta. I love my Jetta, it's quick to my standards (which aren't very high) and very practical. But I miss being higher above the ground in my Explorer. I miss having the state of mind of being able to drive over everything and not worrying about hitting things. I miss being able to step on running boards. I miss not having to hit my head on the ceiling when I get in and out or move my head at all. I miss being able to get in and out easily. Most of all, I miss RWD and swinging that thing around.

What I don't miss? I don't miss getting gas 3-5 times a week. I don't miss the noises it made because it needed work. I don't miss the bad air conditioning. And last, I don't miss my neighbors complaining that my truck was too big to park on the street.

I'm seriously considering buying a 3rd gen limited because I miss the truck so much. What do you love about your Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting thread!

What I love about my Explorer...well, I think I've been "in love" with these 3rd gens since my dad bought his new in 2005. I love how it looks, how the interior is laid out...I love the comfort and interior size (relatively speaking to a smaller car). And I bought my first Explorer in 2014; it was a 2003 and I got an awesome deal on it. I really loved that truck. If it weren't for that deer running out in front of me, I'd still have it to this day. But I did replace it with another '03 XLT and I just love how these trucks are. I'm not crazy about all the issues they're known to have but I fortunately haven't experienced the extreme ones. It is my beater/work horse now by carrying cargo and more than 2 people at a time; it's served me quite well on road trips. It's just a great SUV...with an emphasis on the "Utility."

Now, that said, I also love my other car which is a 2003 Mustang GT. I'm pretty sure I have more love for that than the Explorer, but it's close. :)

I have a 2008 Volvo S60 2.5T awd and a 2002 Explorer XLS, 2wd, 4.0 SOHC. I've had the Volvo since new (lease then buy). I picked up the Explorer for $500 with a busted engine (timing chain fail) a couple of years ago, and made it long, long term project.

The Volvo's been a great car for me, but I find myself driving it less and less, and the Explorer more and more:
  • much easier to get in/out of (I'm 6'4" and not light, and not young);
  • I, too, like the running board;
  • I prefer the ride on the 'sploder more. It seems to absorb bumps much better;
  • I prefer the higher driving position.
  • If I have more than one passenger, the rear seat is much more spacious;
  • great for hauling stuff around, including lots of stuff for camping trips, shopping, moving kids to new apartments, etc.;
  • I have a Thule articulating bike rack on the trailer hitch and fold down the extension when not using it. One lever lets me swing the vertical arm down to open the rear gate. I like to carry my bike a lot, and this is an easier solution than lifting it to the a rack on the roof, which imposes a gas mileage penalty on the Volvo as well.; and
  • I actually like the 4.0 SOHC a lot now that I've overhauled it with new chains and a lot more. Quite, smooth, powerful for a v-6.
I prefer the Volvo--which runs wonderfully--for gas mileage. I'm also more likely to use it in snow with its AWD and stability control (important in Michigan).

When I eventually replace this truck I'm going to look for a 4th gen with 4wd, stability control, and side airbags. Probably a 3-valve 4.6L v8.

I have a 2008 Volvo S60 2.5T awd and a 2002 Explorer XLS, 2wd, 4.0 SOHC. I've had the Volvo since new (lease then buy). I picked up the Explorer for $500 with a busted engine (timing chain fail) a couple of years ago, and made it long, long term project.

The Volvo's been a great car for me, but I find myself driving it less and less, and the Explorer more and more:
  • much easier to get in/out of (I'm 6'4" and not light, and not young);
  • I, too, like the running board;
  • I prefer the ride on the 'sploder more. It seems to absorb bumps much better;
  • I prefer the higher driving position.
  • If I have more than one passenger, the rear seat is much more spacious;
  • great for hauling stuff around, including lots of stuff for camping trips, shopping, moving kids to new apartments, etc.;
  • I have a Thule articulating bike rack on the trailer hitch and fold down the extension when not using it. One lever lets me swing the vertical arm down to open the rear gate. I like to carry my bike a lot, and this is an easier solution than lifting it to the a rack on the roof, which imposes a gas mileage penalty on the Volvo as well.; and
  • I actually like the 4.0 SOHC a lot now that I've overhauled it with new chains and a lot more. Quite, smooth, powerful for a v-6.
I prefer the Volvo--which runs wonderfully--for gas mileage. I'm also more likely to use it in snow with its AWD and stability control (important in Michigan).

When I eventually replace this truck I'm going to look for a 4th gen with 4wd, stability control, and side airbags. Probably a 3-valve 4.6L v8.

Same boat as you, I picked up an '02 Explorer 4x4 XLS needing a new rear dif from a relative. Plan on having it as a project car / weekend beater / big car (My daily is a 2016 Scion tC... so I love the idea of having the space) Nervous that it will turn into a money pit but excited to use it to learn my way around a truck. I learned to drive on a 2007 Explorer Limited (belonged to my mother) and it has to this day been my favorite vehicle I have ever driven, so I'm really excited for this!

Thanks,
Kyle

I feel I'm almost ready to let my Mountaineer go. I love it, it's gotten me around for 5 years, I have taken it across the country, and through some of Moab's easier trails, and have put a lot of money in repairs into it over the years. But, all good things must come to an end. I love how it looks, and how it sits with the Rancho Quick Lifts and the 265/75's, and the tinted windows. But, I got a new SUV in September (2016 Kia Sorento) and if the AWD in that does well in the snow, I'll end up selling my Mountaineer for someone else to enjoy for a while.

You may not need it, but I just fit a ton of wood pellets in my 2004 XLS last weekend and hauled them home ;). Couldn't do that with any of my other cars/SUV's.

I love my 2005 XLT 4x4 4.0. Have had it over 3 years and it has over 222,000 miles now. I’ll have a used engine dropped in it after the current one blows. It handles snow very well even with tires with 54,000 miles on it.

You may not need it, but I just fit a ton of wood pellets in my 2004 XLS last weekend and hauled them home ;). Couldn't do that with any of my other cars/SUV's.

...and here I had gotten chastised a few years ago (I think it was another forum though) for having a quarter-pallet of flagstone loaded into the back of my '03...and that was only 600 lbs.

Back