I need an opinion.

vonhanson

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Ranger
i have a 5.0 swapped ranger.

right now i have all cats, to a Y pipe to side exit exhaust, all 2 1/4 inch piping.

obviously with it being straight piped its loud, i really like the sound of it, but i have to be careful around town not to mash the gas.

i want to add a muffler to it, looking at a round "race" exhaust, like in this link.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/24234/10002/-1?parentProductId=749870

Now is something like that actually going to make a difference on the exhaust sound?

and does anyone have something similar installed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a Gibson exhaust on my truck, it has a nice tone and isnt to loud. Flowmasters sound great on a 302 motor, and if you have converters on there it shouldnt be over the top loud. It will have a nice Mustang sound to it.

I'm not sure I understand what sound you want. Do you want it to be more quiet or do you want to have to avoid getting on the gas even more?

I'm not sure I understand what sound you want. Do you want it to be more quiet or do you want to have to avoid getting on the gas even more?

sorry, sometimes when i type i don't look back at it, and it doesn't make any sense.

Cliff notes:

I want it to be quieter.

i have custom piping, so a normal chambered muffler would barely fit, thats why i'm looking at this "race" billet mufflers.

something like this,
DynoMax%20Bullet%20Muffler.gif

I don't have any experience with those style muffler so maybe someone else will say something. I've always assumed those would be pretty loud based on the design.

I put a Flowmaster 50 SUV on my wife's Tahoe and it sounds amazing. She didn't want anything too loud but I wasn't going to spend $300 for the OEM replacement. It has a deep tone and gives a quick roar at startup but is pretty quiet at idle and low RPMs. It's just a deep growl during normal driving and then let's you know it's a Flowmaster if you get on it. I've liked it so much that it's probably going to be what I put on my 1969 Mercury Cougar with a 351W. Nothing saying an SUV muffler can't go on a musclecar.:D

I know you mentioned you have limited space. The one for my wife's Tahoe wasn't that big but with side exits, I know how tight your space probably is. If that's too big, just disregard and maybe someone will chime in about the race mufflers. BTW, I like my Dynomax brand muffler.

my buddy put a straight through magna flow on his v8 durango and sounds pretty loud. not obnoxious but similar to what offtrac said you hear it when he gets on it. i dont think there designed to be all that quiet lol but with you truck being straight piped it may quiet it down some.

Forgive me....

I am a wheeler and a car guy. However those damm lawyers or the ones that play them on TV have other thoughts.

Depending on where you live/ what jurisdiction you are in/ what rules apply... different rules apply.

Generally (and that is a loaded statement) it does not matter what type of exhaust system you have, so long as it is not louder than stock. Yup... stock.

If you are trying to avoid the po po.... well, put on stock pipes with stock volume levels.

If you are trying to avoid the po po most of the time... well, put on a 40 series Flowmaster or similar Magnaflow....

If you are trying to have some sort of muffler that avoids a ticket 'some of the time', put on a muffler of some sort. Bullet, glasspack, or otherwise.

Don't care? Well, that is up to you. Just be ready for constant reminder from Johnny Law. Right? Fair? Otherwise? Just saying....

go for flow master or magnaflow, either will help quiet you down and still give you great sound

Back