I need help on converting to a 5.0 V8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need help on converting to a 5.0 V8

i have a 92 Eddie Baur and my friend baught a GT-40 Aluminum head long block racing motor for his 90 mustang and he decided not to do it so he gave it to me. i want to put it in my explorer but i need to know if it will fit and if it does what kind of trany do i need(Needs to be a automaic) and anything else i need.please help me. im just a dumb 16 year old football player.

First off, no one is dumb, you only have not experienced the necessary information to perform the function that you want to. Wow!

Now that that is off my chest...

The 5.0L conversion is possible and has been perofrmed on a large number of Explorers, Navajo and Rangers.

I am not sure how to search on this site but find out and you will locate a lot of information on the 5.0L conversion.

The trany - you could use a C4, three speed automatic or my choice, the A4OD, a 4 speed overdrive automatic trans. Both are adaptable to your application.

Adapters are available from Advanced Adapter and others for the transfeer case if this is a 4x4.

A motor install kit is available from a large number of suppliers.

Good Luck,

Conversion

If you look through older postings you will find lots of information, as well look for one of my postings as I have just started the very conversion but 2wd in a buddies '93 Explorer. I will be posting lots of pics and info as the project progresses.

Speedfreak,

Here's a question:

What is the possibility of removing the complete heater system from the Explorer/Navajo and installing an after market unit similar to teh Vintage Air units that are all in one ?

What do you think ?

Just something I have been thinking about.

The air-conditioning units stick in to the engine bay too far and is causing me some real problems.

My 5.0 has rasied valve cover mounting rails and tall valve covers so the problem grows, so to speak.

AC

It would be possible to switch to an aftermarket heating unit but there still would be alot of extra work involved. Another option would be to install a '95 and up Explorer heater box, this is about an inch smaller where needed but would also require major mods to firewall to work. If you are lifted and want alittle more height now would be a good time for a 2 inch body lift to make the extra room needed to fit the valve covers.

Back