I need some help diagnosing what this is? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need some help diagnosing what this is?

Have any way to monitor missfires while driving? 40-45 mph and slight acceleration usually will cause any weak cylinder to missfire on these 3v engines. Did you use motorcraft plugs? Did you change the boots on the coils?

I see a ton of people change the plugs when they have a missfire only to find it keeps doing it because of a carbon arc inside the coil boot. Once that arc is made it will transfer to the new plug unless you change the boot as well.

Not saying it can happen but I personally haven't seen an 06-10 explorer with a bad pcm yet. Seen a few f150s in the same year range though. Usually when a coil driver goes bad inside the pcm it's done and not intermittent. Memory failure is another issue with the latter pcms.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I stopped at autozone today just to check the codes and heres what I got - 13 total
P0135,P0141,P0155,P0161,P0403,P0443,P0133,P0135,P0141,P0155,P0161,P0403,P0443.

I stopped at autozone today just to check the codes and heres what I got - 13 total
P0135,P0141,P0155,P0161,P0403,P0443,P0133,P0135,P0141,P0155,P0161,P0403,P0443.
I'd start by checking your fuses. That is a a ton of codes for the evap/ egr / o2s. I'd check wiring harness as well

Most of them are relating to O2 sensor malfunctions. There are a couple of codes relating to the EGR valve and that is where I would start. A bad EGR valve might be messing with the AF ratio and setting off the codes for the O2 sensors.

they seem to be EGR and o2 codes. although rare, this could point to the possibility of ECM, or both EGR and o2s being bad. egr can set off o2, so work from there

edit: 94eddie beat me to it!!! ;) ;) ;)

Did your gas cap break? Try a new one.

Do you have a mouse or squirrel problem? If these codes all popped up at the same time after only having a single P0455 code on Friday, I would suspect a rodent of some kind has been snacking on some wires. All of these codes can be caused by faulty/broken wires.

Check around your engine bay for pockets of leaves, seeds, grass or even fur. A sure sign you have an unwanted guest living in there.

Then crawl under(if you can) and look for wires that have been chewed off.

Did your gas cap break? Try a new one.

Do you have a mouse or squirrel problem? If these codes all popped up at the same time after only having a single P0455 code on Friday, I would suspect a rodent of some kind has been snacking on some wires. All of these codes can be caused by faulty/broken wires.

Check around your engine bay for pockets of leaves, seeds, grass or even fur. A sure sign you have an unwanted guest living in there.

Then crawl under(if you can) and look for wires that have been chewed off.
All my wires are fine. and the p0455 code went away without me doing anything... My car is possessed lol. (maybe my friend cleared it). I still think its my ECM - if it was only my o2 sensors then it would still drive fine right? But its dropping in rpms and jerking while driving. As of right now I'm going to attempt to replace my ECM first because I can grab one from the JY for about 200-500$ish.

Again about the ECM, my part number is 9L2A-AA9L2A-12A650-FD. In all the junkyard inventory's they are listed as "Electronic Control Module, 6-245 (4.0L, AT), ID 9L2A-FD" Would that be the part I need?

Btw Thank yall for the input. I know absolute 0 about cars so... Thank you all!

imo, i wouldnt replace the ECM immediately unless everything points to it, usually electronics dont go bad too much.

imo, i wouldnt replace the ECM immediately unless everything points to it, usually electronics dont go bad too much.
Replacing the ECM at this point is like trying to fix a hangnail with open heart surgery. I don't think it is the ECM causing the issues either. My money is on something more mundane like a bad emissions component or wiring issue.

imo, i wouldnt replace the ECM immediately unless everything points to it, usually electronics dont go bad too much

Replacing the ECM at this point is like trying to fix a hangnail with open heart surgery. I don't think it is the ECM causing the issues either. My money is on something more mundane like a bad emissions component or wiring issue.
But if it was a sensor why did it trip 13 codes? Like someone said before it could be the EGR that tripped others and I will check that out because that's also a cheap fix. So thank yall for that. Its been in 2 shops over the last month and I assume they checked wires - I've also looked at them and I can't see any cracked or exposed or wires that would cause issues (I've seen the thread talking about the exposed wires next to the fan). Could a bad emission component cause jerking/jumping/dropping rpms?

. Could a bad emission component cause jerking/jumping/dropping rpms?
yes sir! o2s monitor fuel trims, the upstream sensors are responsible for measuring AFR, the downstream ones just measure cat efficiency. depending on the state of o2s they could richen or lean up the mix!

yes sir! o2s monitor fuel trims, the upstream sensors are responsible for measuring AFR, the downstream ones just measure cat efficiency. depending on the state of o2s they could richen or lean up the mix!
Ok so I will look into the EGR and o2 sensors asap. Last question about them - Would you be able to see a big difference on a live scan on a obd2 scanner if the sensors where bad? Or I guess is it something that I can test without replacing?

Ok so I will look into the EGR and o2 sensors asap. Last question about them - Would you be able to see a big difference on a live scan on a obd2 scanner if the sensors where bad? Or I guess is it something that I can test without replacing?
when i had an issue, i saw it, it was all over the map! but yours may not be that bad, not too sure. sometimes they are, sometimes they aint! its a case by case. et us know your findings. good luck!

But if it was a sensor why did it trip 13 codes? Like someone said before it could be the EGR that tripped others and I will check that out because that's also a cheap fix. So thank yall for that. Its been in 2 shops over the last month and I assume they checked wires - I've also looked at them and I can't see any cracked or exposed or wires that would cause issues (I've seen the thread talking about the exposed wires next to the fan). Could a bad emission component cause jerking/jumping/dropping rpms?
One problem can trip multiple codes. Anything that would cause the AF to be off from specs can cause a many O2 sensor codes. You have to think of t as cause and effect. Most shops will read a code and then throw parts at a fix without confirming the root cause of the problem. Very few mechanics have the skill to take a high end code reader/logger and use it properly to diagnose the source of a problem. Installing a new ECM is just throwing another part at the problem in the hope it is the actual issue.

Anything that can upset the AF ratio enough can cause any number of symptoms. You can keep throwing parts into the vehicle but that gets expensive very quickly and is frustrating. Find someone who knows how to properly data log sensor readings and you will find the source of your problem.

But if it was a sensor why did it trip 13 codes?
You don't have 13 codes. Only 7. The last 6 are the same as the first 6. P0133 is the only one not listed twice.

You don't have 13 codes. Only 7. The last 6 are the same as the first 6. P0133 is the only one not listed twice.
That's true. but the scanner had 13 separate items. It could just be doubled. 7 is still a lot to all trigger at once though

One problem can trip multiple codes.
sorry eddie, but thay reminded me of this 🤣
sorry for the hijack
1651552617878.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's true. but the scanner had 13 separate items. It could just be doubled. 7 is still a lot to all trigger at once though
There were probably pending codes and stored codes.

Back