I need tips on changing plugs and plug wires on a 5.0 AWD Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need tips on changing plugs and plug wires on a 5.0 AWD Explorer

Dave S

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Mill, South Carolina/ Charlotte.....home of Nascar
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 AWD
It's time to bite the bullet and change the plugs on my 2000 AWD Explorer with the 5.0 motor. The drivers side looks very straight forward but the passenger side presents some challenges with the back two cylinders since you cant (seemingly) reach them.

Can anyone who has done this job give me any tips on the best way to get to the plugs and also route the wires? I was wondering if removing the rubber fender flap in the front wheel well over the suspension would allow enough working space to get to the plugs easier.

All tips and tricks would be appreciated.

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take the front tires off, remove the flexible splash guards and everything is within easy reach.

Take the front tires off, remove the flexible splash guards and everything is within easy reach.

Agreed. Number 4 plug wire can be a ***** to route correctly, but make sure to route it correctly. You won't need to do plugs and wires for a long time and taking the extra time to route the wires correctly will help keep them from chafing or getting cut on anything.

Nick

Thanks a lot guys. Is the correct plug gap .035? I don't have the shop manual. Also are all the heat shields I see on the current wires re-usable or do I need to get new ones?

My new wires came with a white color braided cloth-like shielding already on the wires, if that is the heat shielding you are referring to.

Be careful on the stock heat shields. They'll slice your right open. The Taylor wires I purchased way back when had a metal cloth to protect the necessary wires.

Yes, the wire that goes under the throttle body is a pain. I ended up just pulling as hard as I could to get the old one out and fed the new one through that area.

I plan on pulling a few plugs tonight to check and see how they are holding up. I have to pull everything apart to find an exhaust leak (love the 5.0!).

The correct gap is .054 it should be on one of the stickers under your hood. They're really easy to get to through the fender wells it's not a hard job at all. As far as the wires go I bought motorcraft replacements and they already had the heat shields on them, if yours don't you can pick up some heat socks at most local auto parts stores

Back