I thought it was a wheel bearing but apparently not... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I thought it was a wheel bearing but apparently not...

RichCresci

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS, 06 Mounty
So my 02 4x4 v6 had a nice hum/light rumble going on underneath. I thought it was the wheel bearing because it sounded like one. The more you turn the wheel the louder it gets(at speed obviously) but i changed the wheel bearing and the noise is still there. For the love of Christ does anyone have any thoughts to share? Thanks again...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you replace the correct wheel bearing ;) ?

Thats my only doubt. I could feel it under my feet and it definitely seemed to be louder on the drivers side. Realistically what else could possibly make the bad wheel bearing noise?

Is it the differential?

It better not be. I'd cry.

Have you checked the drivers side upper ball joint? It may be blown.

Could it be a worn tire?

I had the same problem on our '03 I replaced the driver side, thought it was it, WRONG it was the passenger side. So now I have a brand new set but now I have the ABS light on.

When my passenger side front bearing went it sounded like it was the drivers side. I had to have someone ride shotgun to figure out which side it was. I thought my drivers side bearing was shot but it was a tire. Try a tire rotation, can't hurt.

I've done the same thing before, in fact, my post shows up first in the similar threads list below. I changed out the right front, as it was obvious to be that the sound was coming from there. Nope, it was the Left front. I took the hub that I replaced on the right side and put it over on the left side. All is well.

just jack the truck up, grab the top of the wheel with one hand, the bottom with the other and if you can move the tire in and out, then the bearing is bad. might as well check the remaining 3 just to be sure

What he said. I just had a buddy replace my rear hub and bearing today. I initially heard the noise and thought wheel bearing the whole time. I even narrowed it down by having my mom drive and I hopped in the very back and put my ear on the floor of each side. I could tell it was passenger rear but even took the wheel off afterwards and did the check. I didn't have much play or any wobble but when the wheel did spin I could feel the resistance and hear it grinding. I knew it wasn't the brakes because the sound stayed the same under different braking conditions during normal driving.

Back