• Register Today It's free!

I want to buy a front locker.

AlvaroE46

Reaction score
City, State
Malaga
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
Hi, i'm new , and i don't know If this is the right place.
I need a front locker for my explorer, but in Spain is very di###ult to find parts.
Anybody can tell me a one line shop please.
Thanks and sorry for my english. :roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, and welcome. This is the right place for your question. I have a powertrax lock-right installed in my front differential. I dont know of a website for spain however. I think amazon and some other places offer international shipping. try www.4wd.com I have never used them, so I cant recommend them. But their website says they do ship internationally.

One side comment, tho. If it is hard to get parts in Spain, you may consider not locking your front, or at least getting a limited Slip differential instead. Some people say lockers break CV axles in the front D35s easily. I just installed my locker, so I dont know. If it is hard to get replacements, you may consider leaving it open, or putting in a less harsh LS.

Not sure if that was helpful or not. Good Luck.

Hi, and welcome. This is the right place for your question. I have a powertrax lock-right installed in my front differential. I dont know of a website for spain however. I think amazon and some other places offer international shipping. try www.4wd.com I have never used them, so I cant recommend them. But their website says they do ship internationally.

One side comment, tho. If it is hard to get parts in Spain, you may consider not locking your front, or at least getting a limited Slip differential instead. Some people say lockers break CV axles in the front D35s easily. I just installed my locker, so I dont know. If it is hard to get replacements, you may consider leaving it open, or putting in a less harsh LS.

Not sure if that was helpful or not. Good Luck.

Thanks for reply! I can find the oem parts but the problem is the upgrades. If the front axle broke i can find other.
This page is only for jeep?
Thanks

It's not only for jeeps. The 2311-lr lock rite is on there. Which fits your front d35 if it is open. Many jeeps have d35's and many jeeps swap for our ford 8.8's. You need to know what you want to order and make sure it's the correct part number obviously.

Is the rear locked? Typically that's the most beneficial axle to lock if you're only going to lock one.
I don't know, i'm trying to know if my rear axle have a ls. Because mu car haven't got label in the front door with the model axle.
Thanks , if the rear axle is open, i will locked first.

It's not only for jeeps. The 2311-lr lock rite is on there. Which fits your front d35 if it is open. Many jeeps have d35's and many jeeps swap for our ford 8.8's. You need to know what you want to order and make sure it's the correct part number obviously.

Ok thanks you!

Are you an experienced off road driver?

I'd only recommend a locked front diff for hardcore offroading with very capable driver.

The easiest way to check for LS is to jack up one rear wheel and with the other rear wheel firmly on the ground, out of gear with the park brake off try to turn the raised wheel.
If the wheel won't turn you either have an LSD or you forgot to let the park brake off.

If it turns but with some resistance then the LS clutches are shot. Pretty easy fix.

Are you an experienced off road driver?

I'd only recommend a locked front diff for hardcore offroading with very capable driver.

The easiest way to check for LS is to jack up one rear wheel and with the other rear wheel firmly on the ground, out of gear with the park brake off try to turn the raised wheel.
If the wheel won't turn you either have an LSD or you forgot to let the park brake off.

If it turns but with some resistance then the LS clutches are shot. Pretty easy fix.
Tomorrow i will check again because i remember the wheel had resistance but no enough...:eek:
Thanks
If he haven't got LS i will put rear locker

Ok , now i know my rear diff is open...so before the front Axel...i need a locker for the rear.
Any help to find the rear locker?
Thanks

It's a ford 8.8 31-spline rear axle.

You need to decide what kind of locker you want. Automatic, selectable, etc. it looks like you drive this on the street so a spool or mini-spool (always locked) cannot be used.

Just wanted to update, since the original post was on front lockers. Spent last weekend trail riding with my new lock-right front locker. Love it. It took me places I got stuck before, and after about 30 miles of trails, its a night and day difference. I dont hear the ratcheting that some people complain about. Also, with the brown-wire mod, the front locker completely disappears on demand. For instance, we were climbing a pretty steep hill, with an immediate hard right turn after. The locker got me up the sloppy slope, and as I turned still under power, it was going to understeer...I flipped the switch tied to the brown-wire mod, and it instantly unlocked and took the turn. Fantastic. For the money I spent, I couldn't be happier.

Just wanted to update, since the original post was on front lockers. Spent last weekend trail riding with my new lock-right front locker. Love it. It took me places I got stuck before, and after about 30 miles of trails, its a night and day difference. I dont hear the ratcheting that some people complain about. Also, with the brown-wire mod, the front locker completely disappears on demand. For instance, we were climbing a pretty steep hill, with an immediate hard right turn after. The locker got me up the sloppy slope, and as I turned still under power, it was going to understeer...I flipped the switch tied to the brown-wire mod, and it instantly unlocked and took the turn. Fantastic. For the money I spent, I couldn't be happier.
what is the [ brown wire mod] ?

I'm super happy with my True Tracs front and back. They are torsion limited slips. Which don't allow you to be open- they just engage seemlessly and smoothly.

Which true trac you have in the front? Your truck listed as 97 Explorer which is same front diff as 99 Ranger or IFS

Back